1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay from government during school closures for day to day supply teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by teddybelle, Mar 22, 2020.

1. btml

btml New commenter

Not sure if they mean the umbrella companies charge them a fee. I was also informed by the director of an umbrella co that it isn’t free to furlough teachers.

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  2. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have worked every day except VE day & Easter Friday & Monday since 24 feb (13 weeks) including 2 weeks over easter & this week (half term hols) All the other permenant staff only come into school 1 day every 2 weeks rota & the 5 SLT staff only in 1 day per week rota. Does anyone think I should ask to be paid VE day or Easter Monday & good Friday?

3. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have worked since 24 Feb every day including the 2 easter weeks.All the perm staff come into school 1 day every 2 weeks on rota & on full pay but my agency did not pay me for easter fri or easter Mon or VE day so much for goodwill from agency & school

4. nvanlimbeek

nvanlimbeek New commenter

With regards to some Agencies saying "they are awaiting Furlough money coming through" - it may be that their payroll haven't made the date for this months Furlough money - I sort the payroll out for a friends shop and I received this around 2 weeks ago.

Dear customer,

It’s nearly a month since the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) opened and many businesses will be preparing to make another claim in order to receive money by the end of May.

To ensure you receive a payment by the end of May, you need to apply by Wednesday 20‌‌ May.

When you make a claim through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, you’ll receive the money within six working days.

After making a claim, please keep all records and calculations, in case we need to contact you to discuss these.

Secondly, with Umbrella Companies, I presume they are "hoping" to charge something to cover the wages of the unfurloughed payroll workers, or if the directors only give themselves a "pittance wage" of a few pounds per week and take their dividends as well - it may then be that they haven't furloughed themselves, as they could earn more giving themselves a higher weekly / monthly wage..

gold19951 likes this.
  5. btml

btml New commenter

Are you furloughed by your agency? If so then you shouldn’t be working. The whole point of furloughing an employee is that they’re laid off work. I’ve taken the information I’m going to paste below from the citizens advice website.

If your employer has furloughed you, they shouldn’t ask you to work while you’re furloughed - this includes asking you to work voluntarily.

Your employer can ask you to do certain types of training - for example, an online course to improve your skills. They can’t ask you to do training if it makes money or provides services for them.

gold19951 likes this.
  6. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

Why should you get paid those days? As supply you only paid the days you work. You wouldn’t normally

7. sojal

sojal New commenter

Because its not normal days with covid & health risks the other staff dont work 9 out of 10 days & they get paid 10 full days pay. does goodwill not exist to supplies even in exeptional times?

gold19951 likes this.
  8. sojal

sojal New commenter

Im not furloughed Im working full time with all the health risks & not a mask in sight!

9. ajc89

Most furloughed supplies aren’t getting paid those days ( if at all!) And the permanent staff are more than likely working from home the days they aren’t in! Answering emails, calling parents sorting work out for the children etc.
    If you really don’t like it that much, why don’t you say something to the school or agency??

10. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Just had 'availability email' from one agency - anyone else had this yet - agencies are eager that's for sure but I can't imagine schools want supply staff in yet? Probably means end of furlough though unless show I am available? Anyone else had today?

11. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have asked & both said no! I would much rather be furloughed at 80% than work 4 days per week for the same money wouldn't you? I wonder if I getcovid19 from the school & am off if they will pay me

12. ajc89

@Happyregardless I had something about my availability in September... if we won’t be or are currently looking for jobs it could affect furlough... they need to know that the people they furloughed will be there for them when it gets busy again....

gold19951 likes this.
  13. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I agree ajc89, I suspect that work will be patchy for the time being, I suspect that initially work may be in primary, but you never know and but it will be interesting to see, if they need additional staff if they need to make social distancing and maintain small class sizes.

gold19951 likes this.
  14. ajc89

Honestly, I’m not so sure. And I doubt it- do you normally get sick pay if you are a supply? I never have

15. ajc89

@historygrump and schools will probably want supply to be tested as how are they supposed to know if we’ve been to more than one school or not? And potentially a test for every school you go into/ come out of... Unless off sick, I think additional staff will only be needed in one form entry schools...?

gold19951 likes this.
  16. sojal

sojal New commenter

you keep sayting
    You keep saying NORMALLY in your posts.It is not normal days as 40000 have died.Everybody is being treated as exceptional circumstances except supplies who are still working. Thats what the school & agency think of us

17. Emmaree11

Emmaree11 New commenter

After finally being furloughed by my agency last week, I am now being refused back pay, even though I've been eligible from March. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how I can challenge this? Thank you

gold19951 likes this.
  18. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

I received this forwarded from my MP today. I appreciate the effort they’ve gone to, but the Minister of State for School Standards does not seem to understand the issue I raised (very clearly!), or is ignoring it. Sigh.

Attached Files:

19. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Well done for finally getting something Emmaree. Have they definitely refused you back pay or are you going by the date on the pay slip? My first furlough payment was dated beginning to end of May but actually covered the period March - April.

Emmaree11 likes this.
  20. Emmaree11

Emmaree11 New commenter

Thank you Gold19951! It was quite a battle! Yes, they have definitely refused any back pay stating they will only pay from the date accepted, which was last week . Seems extremely unfair as my situation is exactly the same as when I first applied in March!

gold19951 likes this.