1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay freeze

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Yogs, Feb 23, 2012.

1. So our pay is frozen for another year(big surprise). Apparently part of the reason for this is to enable a council tax freeze. Except I also found out today that my council tax is going up by 2.95%. I feel so disheartened, I have now not had a pay rise for over 5 years because of single status changes followed by the financial crisis. I know I am lucky to have a job at all, but still find the situation extremely depressing. Sorry this post is basically a big moan - it just seems unfair that some of the lowest paid workers are having their pay frozen, whilst the wealthy find ways to avoid paying their taxes and get fat bonuses.

2. I think we TAs have a right to moan. The amount of work we do in relation to the pay and thanks we get. If it carries on like this, we'll all be better off working at MacDonald, same pay without the worry and stress.

3. Whilst I agree that another year's pay freeze is appalling, I have got to say that not every TA is on part-time, lowest grade terms - I would actually like to get out of education now but can't find any job (far less, an unskilled one!) which will pay me anywhere near my current TTO salary for all-year-round working!
    Admittedly, I am a full-time HLTA, paid at the proper NJC rate for the role - I know I am definitely in the minority, but I also know that I have colleagues who genuinely believe they would get paid the same rate working as a check-out operator who might get a shock if they actually knew what jobs like these pay!

4. doudou, I agree with you. There are many who are on a higher wage, but many are not. For the amount of work and stress some TAs get, compared to many TA pay rates, then I feel justified with my comment.

Some schools do not have HLTAs or any sort of training or progression, but still expect TAs to teach (I had to whole class teach this week, a money lesson with five/six year olds, who had no idea what the coins were as I wasn't allowed to do the input, while the teacher sat 'assessing' one child), as well as clearing up 'accidents' and work extra time without pay.

Myself, I've had enough and I am doing teacher training. I know that there are enough people to step into my TA shoes, but that doesn't mean I agree with the pay TAs are getting.

5. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Its a disgrace. If you factor in inflation we have seen a 13% pay cut over the last three years. Wasn't there some pay rise pot with £250 for the lowest paid that was mooted at some point? There was definitely some promise made and again not delivered on I know. Pisses me off even more that this news came out on the same day as the news about RBS staff receiving bonuses dispite further big losses.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

The £250 additional payment was not made to teachers - probably because they earn more than £21,000 a year in the first place.
    It was of course very unfair that that assistants and other people working for local councils didn't get this - and it is unfair that effectively with a pay freeze for LSAs (And indeed teachers) employees in schools have had a significant pay cut - and will get another one this year.

PS - I presume al of you complaining here didn't vote in the people responsible and certainly won't ever vote for them again.

7. Thanks R13, you're quite right about teachers not getting it, that was me being dim! I had just read an article about unqualified teachers. I certainly don't begrudge anyone else getting It. I am very ashamed to say I voted Libdem...never again! I am at the top of my pay scale, but I assume those that aren't still get to move up theirs ?

8. R13

R13 New commenter

YOGS - you're right if a person is able to continue to progress up the pay ladder because of the quality of thier input and the fact that they are not already at the top then this is still open to assistants and teacher. Headteachers and others on the Leadership scale can still earn an incentive point or two through performance management by the Governors (with an external expert) but some of us have agreed to forego this because of the financial situation at the school and out of respect to other colleagues

9. I wasn't meaning that I have problem with that, although I have huge respect for those voluntarily giving theirs up. I think we all deserve a big pay rise !

10. R13

R13 New commenter

Not wishing to sound too soppy here Yogs but despite some of the threads on here most of my colleagues really value LSAs and wish they were paid better (And that we had budgets to afford it of course)

11. Ahh, I'm welling up! I know that most of the time TAs and teachers do get along really well.The class teacher I support is fab and we work really well together. Given that there are tough times ahead for us all, it is vital that we all carry on supporting each other.