1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Freeze

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by impulce, Jun 22, 2010.

1. So.. a 2 year pay freeze. Well thanks a bloody lot - lets make education and healthcare suffer shall we!?

Does anybody know whether this means its just the yearly inflation rises that are frozen, or do we actually stop moving up the payscale too?

2. So.. a 2 year pay freeze. Well thanks a bloody lot - lets make education and healthcare suffer shall we!?

Does anybody know whether this means its just the yearly inflation rises that are frozen, or do we actually stop moving up the payscale too?

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

I can't see how they could stop you getting an incremental pay increase for length of service as that would make a nonsense of having a teaching payscale.

4. Today's announcements apply to England. They will try it up here but already the EIS has voted to support industrial action if there is any move made to freeze our pay.

5. On Reporting Scotland tonight it was mentioned that the same freeze would probably apply here.
    As for the EIS threatening industrial action, that will backfire as everyone else will be suffering and will expect teachers to suffer as well. If we don't accept a freeze, the public backlash will be huge.
    I'm just sayin', you know, because I've been through this before. Cameron has pointed to the 1990s Canadian model for dealing with a budget deficit, and I was there, living and teaching in Canada during that decade, and what we ended up with was a virtual TEN-year pay freeze.
    Oh, it was only supposed to be a freeze for a year or two, and we did get raises after that, but they were always a pittance, always less than the increase in the cost of living and always clawed back through increasing taxes. The net result? In 2000, my take-home pay was exactly the same as it was in 1990, and the cost of essentials, like food and heating, had rocketed by about 30-40%.
    That's what's coming here. Get ready for it.

6. I'm confused - are we getting a pay freeze?

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Even if there is a pay freeze in Scotland, it will actually be a pay cut given inflation and the time value of money.
    It will be a case of lose, lose for most people, a few will be largely uneffected and some will take advantage of the situation to make loads of money.
    Such is life.

8. Can anyone explain the "Pay Freeze"? Are we all staying on the same M scale that we are on now during 2011/12?

9. sbf

sbf

<font size="2">Come on it&rsquo;s not rocket science.</font>
    Looks like we are getting no inflationary increase from April as per normal. It&rsquo;s nothing to do with pay grade increments.

10. My understanding is that Aberdeen City want all employees to take a 5% paycut - teachers included!

11. sbf

sbf

Teachers pay is negotiated nationally, can't see how they can do that. In fact they can't.