1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay freeze for FY 2020

Discussion in 'Independent' started by alexy132, Jun 12, 2020.

1. alexy132

alexy132 New commenter

Hi there,

Anyone else is faced with pay freeze for FY 2020?

2. citruspers

citruspers New commenter

Yes.

We’ve also been told (or asked to volunteer for...) a 10% pay cut for May-August.

3. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

We have all taken a 20% pay cut for the duration of the lock down - looks like it'll last till September. If I'm honest I'm just hoping I get full pay from September!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes to the pay freezze from September.
    We were furloughed over Easter and likely to be over the summer, with no top up so a 20% cut in salary for the best part of 11 weeks.
    Our employer contributions to our pension have also dropped to 3% from the start of the Easter holidays until the end of August at the earliest.
    Not great.

5. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

They can’t furlough you again now. The deadline for registrations is the end of June and you have to be furloughed for 3 weeks before that, so if you weren’t furloughed by Wednesday just gone you should be safe. Edited to add - Definitely applies to ‘new’ furloughs, not sure if you were furloughed before if they can ‘restart’ it now.

6. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

Yes, the school where I work is implementing a pay freeze

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Apparently they can...it was asked at an NEU meeting and the legal person said yes to refurloughing staff, but not to new furloughs.
    I was hoping they couldn't, but hey ho.

Then again being furloughed and having a pay freeze is better than no school at all.

8. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

Pay freeze for us too

Fine for old codgers like me who are relatively advanced on the scales and for whom the increment is relatively small, but I feel sorry for the young guns, many of whom have had to take time to train those of more advanced years on the new technology, for whom the pay freeze is a real blow. Hasn’t stopped the school building the new library next year though..

9. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Pay Freeze.
    Daft management at the school are continuing with building plans and some other luxuries. Head is still getting paid excessive amount after a 10k rise last year

Recession for the poor boom times for the rich.
    Fantastic.

10. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Colleague from another India boarding school tells me that SLT have taken a pay cut already and encouraging other colleagues to do likewise. Any one else experience anything like this?

11. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

*independent

12. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

Every single employee has currently taken a 20% pay cut at our school. This will continue until September when hopefully we'll go back up to full pay..... Obviously dependent on the school being able to charge full fees!

13. bob1503

bob1503 New commenter

Yes to pay freeze. No movement to UPS or along UPS.

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

My school has given 0% pay rises for 3 of the last 4 years while carrying a half million pound surplus and completing two big building projects. A rise this year seems unlikely ...

15. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Pay freeze, just announced. No surprise. But at least they're pumping money into a hardship fund (bursaries etc) and freezing the fees too, so the money's going where it should.

16. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

If you are still in the TPS then you need to be alert to the effect a pay freeze has on your pension (Final Salary) and if you can get even a minimal raise of £1.

This is because when they come to calculate your best "final salary" all of your salaries from the last 10 years are brought up to date accounting for inflation...however they adjust each salary ONLY from the last day of the period in which it was unchanged. So if you have 3 years of no change in your salary the first two years of that period will only be upgraded by inflation from the end of the 3rd year. In effect missing out on the inflation increases of the years

There's nothing you can do about this retrospectively but be aware that if i continues then those salaries will continue to miss out on the index-linking.

I would suggest that it may even be better, from your pension's point of view, to take a pay cut of £1 than have no change in your salary each year.

17. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

3 percent state sector 0 percent or less independent sector. Time for schools to invest in staff rather than fancy building projects......

18. caterpillartobutterfly

I saw some sample pay scales for next year.
    If I'd stayed in the state sector I'd be earning about £5K a year more now and have a decent pension to look forward to... :(

(Ok I wouldn't because I'd have left teaching to be looked after by the men in white coats...but that's not the point! ;))

sabrinakat, steely1 and drvs like this.
  19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yes, it's a shame both for staff and kids that many independent schools have caught on to the fact that most teachers would stay in indie for less money than they can get in state. Rather short-sighted IMO.

My school's salary scale is nearly as far behind state as yours, though we do still have TPS at the moment. I just work proportionately less hard each time the pay falls back ... if it goes on much longer there'll be problems as I'm basically on work to rule now :D

20. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Totally agree. Leadership seem to be moving up a “pay scale” but for teaching staff we hit a brick wall much earlier.