1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay freeze confusion!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by chrisdoman, May 1, 2011.

1. Apologies if this post appears to reinvent the wheel, but i am really confused with the pay freeze and its conditions.
    I am currently a NQT in the midlands.

Ive got three questions really, that having searched on both this forum and the internet. I still havent been able to answer:
    1. Does pay scale stay same for next two years? (ie i progress to m2 and 3 but remain on 21.588).

And 2. After the pay freeze, will i be paid on m4 scale or on m2?

And finally 3. How does this affect the private schools? I.e if I was to move to a private school for my next year, are they inclined to offer a pay rise in line with a scale or mirror the governments pay?

I know about the 1k rise in tax free take home, which should make a little difference in the right direction.

Again sorry, but im sure im not the only one who just wants a stright answer from someone in the know.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Apologies if this post appears to reinvent the wheel, but i am really confused with the pay freeze and its conditions.
    I am currently a NQT in the midlands.

Ive got three questions really, that having searched on both this forum and the internet. I still havent been able to answer:
    1. Does pay scale stay same for next two years? (ie i progress to m2 and 3 but remain on 21.588).

And 2. After the pay freeze, will i be paid on m4 scale or on m2?

And finally 3. How does this affect the private schools? I.e if I was to move to a private school for my next year, are they inclined to offer a pay rise in line with a scale or mirror the governments pay?

I know about the 1k rise in tax free take home, which should make a little difference in the right direction.

Again sorry, but im sure im not the only one who just wants a stright answer from someone in the know.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

1. You can still move up the payscale over the next two years e.g. if you are on M2 this year you should expect to move to M3 in September
    2. The pay at each point of the pay scale will not increase i.e. if M2 is £ 21 588 now it will still be in September, and the following year
    3. Independent school (and academy) pay varies between schools. There will be no blanket policy though my suspicion would be a limit to any pay rises (particularly for academies) but there is no way of predicting what an individual school will do

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

1. Pay freeze only affects what you will be paid on each point of the scale. M1 will stay the same, you will move up and earn in line with the point you are on. Therefore next year you will be on M2 at £23295. Anyone starting on M1 next year will be on £21588 but you will be on M2.

2. You will continue to move up the pay scale. The only thing that is different to how it used to be is that the cost of living increase isn't added on. If pay is frozen until 2013 by that September you will be on M4 as long as you stay within the state sector.

3. As far as I am led to believe independant schools can pay whatever they want and can afford.

5. Lots of independent schools have their own pay scales. Some pay more than state schools,some less. We are getting 2.5% pay increase for next year.