1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay for those who have 6 hours contact time a day!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gailmg, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I know this has been discussed before, when extended hours for early years came in.
    I am wondering what, if anything has been resolved, does not seem right to have to do LJ's (markiing) and all the endless tidying up in FS classrooms/outside areas AND teach a longer day than anyone else.
    About to start at a new School, no contract yet, just wondering what I can negotiate, does anyone think 0.9 is unreasonable for 24 hours contact time a week?
    Thanks

2. Still well within the 1265 hours I am afraid!

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It doesn't really matter what your contact time is as long as a full timer would not exceed 1265 hours when meeting and INSET are added to contact hours.
    If you will be working 4 days per week, your Directed Time maximum hours will be 1012 per year for 0.8 pay.
    That means 912 combined contact time and PPA, and 100 hours to be divided between INSETS that fall on your working days (25 hours max) and meetings/parents' evenings.
    You will not be having the marking load that goes with pupils who can read and write and won't be teaching full classes either for your contact time (15 minute slots with individuals and small groups, repeated with the rest of the group, and free play for the rest of their session? ). More contact time, less planning and marking and no overall increase in DT work time.
    If you are not getting PPA within the 4 days, you would of course negotiate more than 0.8 to allow for your PPA on the fifth day (presumably at home, but they could insist on it being on the premises)

4. I work it like this.
    Full time is 1265 over 195 days which is 6 1/2 hours a day max (being a little generous)
    3 1/4 for a half day

Most schools do not allocate the max each day because they would have no time to allocate for meetings or parents evenings.
    Pupils entitlement is 25 hours a week at secondary a little less at primary so it is hard for schools to give you 25 hours teaching a week and fulfill the requirement for 10% ppa during the teaching day. PPA can't be added to the end of the day.
    The crucial point for you is the requirement that a part timer can only be asked to do the proportion that a ft would do at that school. . If your school gives ft staff 20 hours teaching then your pt .9 can only be 18 hours regardless. They cannot ask you to do more than .9 of what a comparable ft person does. This is probably the best way to decide on a fair workload formyournspecific school.

Obviously it does need to still fall within the outer limit

If they pay you .9 then you can work a max of 175.5 days.
    Count them, as often you will find you work too many days because of starting on a tues or finishing term on Thursday etc. You will usually find you are owed some days off - or additional pay

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A full-timer in EYFS would have 5 x 6hr contact days,with their PPA being one of the 3hr sessions.
    Work 4 days (24 contact hours available) and on 0.8 pay you would get roughly 2 and a half hours PPA in one of the 8 sessions, making your schedule in keeping with that required of other EYFS teachers.

6. Thank you all,
    I was just wondering as I have no contract yet!!
    At my last school I was getting .6 for 5 x3hours each morning, I was also expected to stay on one afternoon a week so I could attend the staff meeting after school.
    Now doing 3x 6hours with 30 mins lunch break as only break!
    and 2x3hrs, but still expected to stay for staff meeting on a day when I only teach for the morning!? currently getting 1hr PPA!!

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

0.6 was correct as you were there for 6 of the 10 sessions. Presumably 1.5 hours of the afternoon that you stayed on was PPA time for the 15 morning contact hours.
    You're definitely being short-changed on PPA now. If you are actually teaching for those 3 x 6hrs and the 2 x 3hrs, you should have 2.4 hrs PPA. What contract share are they paying you for? It should be 0.9 if you only have one afternoon not in school.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The 30 min lunch break is perfectly legal and many schools operate a shorter lunch period these days. I think you're entitled to a minimum 20 minute break after 6 hours of work. You get 30minutes after 3 hours.

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You are lucky I only get 0.5 for 5 mornings. They claim I do 0.5 of a fulltime EY teacher, though admit they cant make a teacher do 6 hours and that pre 3 hour entitlement lunchtimes still stand. I now claim for the hours I stay for staff meetings.