1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay for Schools Direct Salaried

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by BHOY01, Sep 25, 2015.

1. BHOY01

BHOY01 New commenter

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice here. I was offered a SDS place at a school near me last Sept which I took. I didn't receive my contract for the position until last Oct. Prior to that I needed a letter stating my annual salary to defer my student loans and the school secretary wrote that I was on about £18700 a year (which is the unqualified teacher rate for outer London).
    To say the year was tough is an understatement, there were many times it looked like I would not get through it. I did - but I knew the school wasn't for me and it was right to leave at the end of the year. I didn't however get paid for the summer. I was concerned about this during the year as the contract I only receieved in Oct so I was employed until the end of July. I spoke to many other SDS teachers and all seemed to say they were getting the full year pay. I didn't speak to the head about it during the year as I didn't want to jeopardise things further (I was on a support plan and chances are my position would have been made more untenable) and was focussed solely on getting QTS.
    Maybe then I don't have a leg to stand on here-but I still feel hard done by to have worked the academic year and not get paid for August.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. missjohnsondreams

missjohnsondreams New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently on an SDS course and get paid nearly £3,000 less than you a year! Mainly, because my school are also paying for the fees. At the top of my payslip it says that I get paid for 52 weeks a year and 37 hours a week - you should look at payslips. If your contract ended at the end of July then you wouldn't get paid for August, it's a way to save the school money. I feel that pay and contracts are a grey area in terms of SDS, schools will probably find ways to bend rules, especially as they are not guaranteed to provide you with an NQT position.

3. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am assuming I won't get paid for July and August as my contract too ends on 30th June. It seems to be the norm in Gloucestershire school direct. Sorry it's not the answer you wanted but at least you know you aren't alone!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The contract you sign specifies the terms and conditions of the employment - check before agreeing. Many temporary teacher contracts are for term time only so finish end of July. The standard teachers contracts run the full academic year and terminate 31st August. In many places ( particularly London) when NQTs are appointed to school for September they receive a paid August as the contract can begin 1st August.