1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Pay for foreign exchange trips rather than a week in Majorca,' top headteacher tells parents

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 12, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My children went on many an exchange trip over their lives and benefited no end..however,if its a choice of an exchange trip or a family holiday i would prefer the family holiday!

sabrinakat and palmtree100 like this.
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

There are many families who can not afford either. This seems to me to be yet another them and us issue, which avoids considering them.

4. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Quality time with family is precious these days, no matter where it is spent.

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Has it occurred to Mr Poshschool that it's the parents who need a holiday, not the kids?

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

My parents really struggled financially when I was growing up - although I wasn't aware of it at the time. I never noticed that other people had foreign holidays - we always went camping in Wales or Devon, and had great days out together.
    When the option of a short school trip to France came up in my first year secondary school, I immediately wanted to go - which obviously surprised my parents completely because I was a very quiet, insecure child. Somehow they found the money (I dread to think now how hard it must have been) and away I went - the first of the family to go abroad! Despite being homesick, I got the travel-bug completely, and went on to do two exchanges, and yes, I was homesick each time, but loved it anyway. It was many more years before my parents could afford to travel outside the UK themselves, but they allowed me to go and did all they could to make it possible, without saying a word about the cost or inconvenience.
    I'm so proud now of their attitude and determination to help me do what I wanted to do, and eternally grateful to my school for organising these trips. Without them, I'd never have had the opportunity which gave me my love of travelling and interest in the world.

sabrinakat and JessicaRabbit1 like this.
  7. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I had amazing opportunities in my school and visited Istanbul and the USSR as it was then. I was lucky that my parents could afford it. I will never, as long as I live, forget watching Swan Lake at the Bolshoi then walking back through the snow in Red Square with St Basil's and the Kremlin all lit up. One of the most breath-taking sights of my life. Taking the overnight train to Leningrad. Getting p****ed on vodka (this was 6th form!) in our grim, government hotel. -25 degrees in February!

Because of these opportunities I developed a true travel bug and have been lucky enough to have worked in travel before I became a teacher, visiting many many countries. My eldest is going on his first French exchange this year and although he is shy, I hope he will benefit because when we go to France each year to visit the in-laws he never tries to converse with the locals. He needs to be thrown in at the deep end! They are off to Carcassonne, somewhere I've not been to, and I'm so jealous.

That said, there are hundreds of beautiful spots in the UK and our dream at the moment is to buy a camper van and take in our own country.

We have always said school trips are a priority, but I wouldn't put them before a family holiday.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It rather depends on NFL teachers getting support from the school, and being willing to spend a week away working.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I had forgotten about this. Back in the 80's I assisted with the organisation and running of several school trips abroad. Half were trips to Germany and the other half were ski weeks in Italy. They were extremely hard work with all sorts of problems to deal with and overcome both before and during the trips as all the teachers here who have done it, will testify. They were challenging and left us with a great sense of achievement, but they were NOT easy! They were damn hard work!

These trips were held within term time leaving half terms available for the rest recuperation, outstanding admin and prep time that they have always been necessary for. But come the 90's and school trips were required to be taken outside term time in the "holidays". Many teachers continued to make the enormous effort of running trips in their personal time but I think very much to the detriment of their mental health. I made the concious decision to draw back my effort on these trips to make sure I was able to tick the absolute necessary OFSTED boxes in my classes and retain some semblance of my own life and well being.

10. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Family holidays are more important than exhange trips.

I'm just thinking about how you could pop on a film about foreign exchange students and infer lots, but imagine how the kids would feel watching a family holiday video and thinking "if only".

wanet likes this.