1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pay for Easter holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by seloff, Jul 7, 2020.

1. seloff

seloff New commenter

If a teacher resigns at the end of the Jan to Easter term, would they get pay for the Easter school holidays if the school closed on the last day of a month, and the holidays fell in the next month month?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

On a standard contract, assuming you handed your notice in before the end of February, you get paid until the end of April, unless you are going to work for another school. Then you get paid up until the end of the Easter break (whatever day that falls in April).

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

To clarify further, the Burgundy Book term ends on 30 April, which would be the standard contractual end date for a teacher not moving to another school, as @Stiltskin says above. You would be expected to work from the start of the school term until that date. Of course, it is possible if both sides agree to move the leaving date to the last day of the school holiday, meaning pay for the holiday but not before.

If moving to another school, the leaving date will be the day before the new school's summer term starts.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Similarly, it's also possible, if both sides agree, to move the leaving date to the last day of the spring term. That means that if you made the mistake of saying in your resignation that you were resigning with effect from <last date of spring term>, the school may have taken that as you agreeing to that finishing date for pay purposes.

For those reading who might be in this position in the future:

If resigning for a new post -
    "Term begins at my new school on 15th April, and so I am resigning with effect from 14th April."

If resigning but not going to a new school -
    "In line with the Burgundy book, I am resigning with effect from 30th April. However I understand that it may be better for the school if my replacement starts at the beginning of the summer term, and I would be happy to leave with effect from <day before new term> if this suits the school better."
    (Second sentence optional, of course - you are entitled to continue to 30th April, although you might be expected to be in school at the start of the summer term - even if they get the new teacher in at the start of the term, they might decide to use you for extra support in year 6/11 instead. In primary, sensible schools might ask you to use that time to write the bulk of the reports, so the new teacher just has to update them for the few weeks before they're due.)

Piranha likes this.