1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay for DSL

Discussion in 'Independent' started by gp, Jul 3, 2019.

1. gp

gp New commenter

How much extra would you expect the Designated Safe Guarding Lead to earn?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In the independent sector, the role of DSL is often taken by a deputy head or head of pastoral care, on no (or very little) teaching timetable, and so the work is considered part of their duties, resulting (as Rott Weiler says) in no extra pay.

However, see:
    https://jobs.theguardian.com/job/6935993/designated-safeguarding-lead-maternity-cover-/

4. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

The above post is the same in my school. No extra pay for DSL or for co-ordinating a subject. I'd like to increase my pay, but I don't think there's anything that independent schools pay extra for..... Is there?

No chance of joining smt or head of dept as they are already taken.

Can you tell me if its like that at your school or if you do get paid for anything 'extra'?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some pay extras for all kinds of things...even stuff like 'charities co-ordinator' or similar.
    But they tend to be larger schools who have the money to do so and are desperate to keep staff, so offer them something or other.

Other schools, like mine and by the sound of it yours, offer no extra for anything. At one stage I was leading three subjects, running the school council, organising holiday club and was PTA rep and got absolutely nothing.

If you want to increase your pay, you need to move to a richer school...I'm in a similar boat.

6. florian gassmann

Many things, although (as stated above) additional allowances are more common in larger, wealthier schools.

The most common allowances are for head of department (and for the No.2 in large departments), TLR and SEN responsibility allowances, games allowances (to cover return after the end of the school day from away matches and Saturday fixtures), and (in boarding schools) boarding allowances. The latter can range from just a couple of £K (plus free meals) for a member of staff doing a once a week sleepover, to free accommodation, domestic services and a five-figure sum for a housemaster.

Some schools offer relocation allowances to new appointees, most offer free meals, and some offer benefits such as private health insurance, life assurance and membership of a local sports club. Reduced fees (typically 50%) for staff children is common. Some can offer accommodation, either rent free or at very low rent - usually, these days, for a limited period until new appointees can find their own property in the area, Where funds are available, heads will often agree to retention allowances in order to keep successful staff.

7. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Sorry to hijack the original post...

Now you mentioned this. "reduced fees for staff--typically 50%"

This is my biggest issue.... My child goes to my school. The discount is no where near 50%, and I believe you're right, the schools I know of are 66%-44%. I've asked for them to review this, they said they had, and said no. Valid reasons given such as in this financial climate they can't offer more.

I didn't have the guts, to resoond

8. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

I didn't have the guts to respond.... But I still want to. Perhaps another thread!?

9. florian gassmann

All UK schools face the same financial climate. If your school cannot afford more, it is probably not on an altogether sound financial footing. Having said that, I think anything more than 50% discount for staff would be pretty rare these days, but 50% is common in many HMC schools. I believe GDST schools offer only "up to" 50%, though (it used to be "up to 30%" but I think competition forced them to become more generous a few years ago).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  10. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Struggling to remember. I think there's an effective limit on the size of discount because the discounted place is a benefit in kind. If the discount is such that the teacher pays less than the marginal cost of providing the place, it's taxable. The marginal cost would take account of books, equipment, consumables, food but not (for example) staffing as the staff would be paid whether the child was in the school or not.
    Someone knowledgeable on here will put me right, I'm sure.

11. Rach05

Rach05 New commenter

Nowt!?!