1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay for 2 terms starting in January

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by YorksLad2, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hi all. I'm an NQT lucky enough to have got myself a 2 term maternity cover starting in jan. My question is should I expect/ask to be paid to the end of summer or not. I haven't received the contract yet or discussed the matter with the HT. They have suggested that there may be opportunity to stay on after summer but if this doesn't happen what should
    I expect?
    Thanks

2. Hi all. I'm an NQT lucky enough to have got myself a 2 term maternity cover starting in jan. My question is should I expect/ask to be paid to the end of summer or not. I haven't received the contract yet or discussed the matter with the HT. They have suggested that there may be opportunity to stay on after summer but if this doesn't happen what should
    I expect?
    Thanks

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

If it's maternity, your contract will most likely say 1 months/2months notice given from post holder's return. Post holder has to give one month. Unfortunately, they will probably return to work the week before the summer, so they get full pay over the summer. This means you, who have worked all year, will not be entitled to summer holiday pay. Massively unfair but nothing you can do :(
    However, the teacher can take up to a year, and may well not return in mid July, as that's only 6.5 months. They may stay away longer which means you'll have a job a bit longer and not be screwed over on summer pay.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Usually the post ends on the return of the postholder. If they decide to come back on the first day of the summer holidays, that's tough on you. (But at least you're checking that out now.) They are very unlikely to return at the start of September, as returning for the summer holidays is 6 weeks full pay.
    You can ask to be paid on daily supply rates for the summer term, which means a higher daily rate to compnsate for lack of holiday pay. But then you lose sick pay entitlement.
    Apparently some LAs have had a policy of paying the summer holiday pay even if th postholder has returned, but that may no longer be the case.
    Find out from the head what the case will be for you, and what they know about the postholder's plans (but remember that they can change their mind at quite short notice).
    Also ask about your induction. Some heads are good enough, if the postholder returns shortly before the end of term, to let you see out the term in order to get it signed off.

5. Don't be too hopeful for a long notice period.... The maternity contract I'm currently on stated a 1 week notice period....I'm expecting her back a couple of days before the summer holidays... :(

6. If it's maternity, you can whistle for your holiday pay, because the teacher will have nicely stitched it up to give birth just in time to get their summer hols money (YOUR summer hols money!). Seen it many times. Standard teacher sprogging practice. (It really ought to be stopped, so unfair. Too many teachers have too many children, and they are generally some of the worst behaved. Awaits lovely mummies having a go about their rights and their lovely kiddies etc etc. Yawn.)

7. Thanks guys. I feared this may be the case. Suppose I've just got to be thankful for the opportunity at the moment. The lady's maternity leave doesn't actually start until 2 weeks into January but they are starting me from the first day back, so they may be quite nice for the end of the summer (fingers crossed).
    I'll discuss with the head in mor detail when I see her next week.
    Thanks again