1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tomkins1978, Nov 26, 2015.

1. tomkins1978

tomkins1978 New commenter

I've been teaching a few years and have gone from a maintained school, to an academy and have now been back in a maintained school for 9 months. Have not had any problems with my pay progression up the main scale before but have now been told that I haven't got my expected progression since September because I have not had continuos service in a maintained school. I have been teaching continuously the whole time and had no problems with my progression when i went from maintained to academy. Bit non-plussed and fed up. My appraisal was all good and I work my butt off and get good observations, surely i should be entitled to my increment on the pay scale?!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do you have this in writing?

I ask because this can only be true IF it is in the Pay Policy of your school.

There are no longer national pay scales, each school has to have its own Pay Policy. So get that statement in writing first, then check it against the Pay Policy.

You could, for example, send an e-mail saying something like Could you just confirm what you told me yesterday that I am not eligible for pay progression because I don't have continuous service in a maintained school? I'd just like to know this so that I can think about what will happen next year.

Then when you have it in writing, peer closely at the Pay Policy to see whether or not that is in there.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

3. tomkins1978

4. tomkins1978

No this is just what the bursar has told me she thinks is the reason. I wasn't given a copy of the school's pay policy. How can I find this?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

E-mail her and see what comes of it. And after getting her reply, e-mail your line manager and ask for the justification for refusing pay progression to you.

And then, only then, ask Bursar for copy of Pay Policy - unless you have managed to find it in the Staff Hand book before then.

N.B. I nearly didn't see this last post of yours. If you want somebody to come back and answer something, you need to tag them, like this: @tomkins1978 . Or in my case @TheoGriff !

Best wishes