1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay cuts UAE 2020

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Sepiateach, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Sepiateach

Sepiateach New commenter

Hi,
    Can anyone confirm there will be ‘shiny‘ pay cuts in Dubai at least for September? Hearing new contracts being issued With revised cuts on...

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It rather reminds me about some of the news reports about Cadburys chocolate bars and "shrinkflation". The company does not actually put up the price of their chocolate bars and instead they just make smaller and smaller bars, hoping that the consumers will not notice.

frodo_magic likes this.
  3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I don't work for them but have heard 15% across the group.

4. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

A friend who is currently in "British city" Dubai, was asked how he would feel about sharing an apartment with four others in the coming year, in a shared room !!! Needless to say, he made his feelings very clear, but thinks new teachers may well be in for a nasty surprise when they land, as schools look to keep costs under tight control.

5. ToL1D7

ToL1D7 New commenter

I can confirm that I am amongst those who received a call.. There are cuts in starting salaries across the board though the accommodation is still individual studio.. I weighed up the pros and cons and have decided to go regardless though it seems job losses and cuts are inevitable from now on out :/

6. Sepiateach

Sepiateach New commenter

Sorry to hear that! It seems inevitable as you say due to the current climate. Is it new starts or all staff in the company?

7. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

I would be very interested in learning more about this. I work for the ‘shiny’ group but haven’t heard anything regarding pay cuts...

8. ToL1D7

ToL1D7 New commenter

So from my phone call, I was told it's only for new starters across the company, existing members of staff haven't been cut in terms of salaries or redundancies though as always everything is currently subject to change.

In regards to reasoning: student numbers are set to vary wildly in countries like the UAE due to fall in employment numbers, particularly amongst the expat community as well as a growing number of existing people demanding refunds/partial-refunds due to the shift from classrooms to online learning, again the financial impact being cited as the main reason behind this.

I was told there is a pledge made to return to pre-covid salary levels when the market picks back up though in the amended contracts all new starters have signed it does not state this and as such I am basing this as word of mouth solely.. realistically what incentive is there to raise wage levels when you are locked into a 2 year contract at a cheaper option to the organisation? My plan as it stands is to obtain the full time experience, get the initial 2 years experience and hopefully by that time the overall impact of covid will have been negated, though this is just an idea but at that time I will review the situation and naturally be seeking alternative arrangements, albeit renegotiating a new contract at a level that reflects both the increased experience and changes in the market, or to seek employment elsewhere that will hopefully reflect higher wage levels.

As you can imagine we are living in turbulent times, it's difficult but I will say that so far they have been consistently transparent and communicative, something I have found others lacking so credit where credit is due. My red line now is firmly drawn along the new contract, any deviation will see me scrapping it and just supply work for a year as the time remaining is little and the lack of full time jobs in my area is a limiting factor too.

Hope this sheds some light on my situation which I believe is somewhat of a reflection on the situation of new starters.. as for existing staff, friends who fall into this category haven't reported any changes as of yet :)

teachingmatters1 likes this.
  9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I was a speaking to a business owner who has businesses in Dubai and other countries. He said in all his 30 years of dealing with the country he has never seen anything like the financial troubles the UAE is going through at the moment.

10. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

How is teaching in Dubai ?

11. scienceteach17

scienceteach17 New commenter

I secured a job at at GEMS school in Dubai. Signed the offer letter and contract in May and June respectively. I received a phone call on Tuesday a phone call from HR, I got my new salary and it is but 15% off my overall salary.

I don't think I will be accepting this offer. I can earn similar in the UK and the living costs are much less here. I'm 4 years post teacher training ,so for me there would be people in my school and department earning more money with less experience and responsibility than me. So for me personally, I'm not sure I can accept. I will have to find another job though :/

12. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

Thanks for the detailed response!

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

The UK has some very, very dark days ahead. I would think very carefully

teachingmatters1 likes this.
  14. ggm78

ggm78 New commenter

In what sense? Completely secure contracts, above inflation pay rises (albeit schools have to find the money) and union protection. I'd suggest the Uk is the most secure place to be as a teacher at the moment?

24hours likes this.
  15. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Many countries will have dark days ahead in the next year, you need to ask yourself is the risk worth the money. The financial package should reflect the personal dangers involved in being caught up in a pandemic in a strange land with little or no prospect of rescue.

If I had a secure job in the UK I would not be transplanting myself to a foreign country.

I am basically stuck in Shanghai for another year as I liquidate some concrete assets into liquid cash for transfer to the UK. Not just the prospect of the continuing pandemic but a political wind change. So basically to secure my families financial future for the rest of our lives we are stuck in Shanghai for the next 15 months, we have no option.

People have to ask themselves is it worth the risk at this moment in time to leave the security of the UK for a foreign country, especially if the $ doesn't compensate for the insecurity and danger.

saragarcia4 and puggerchris like this.
  16. Interista

Interista New commenter

I found this out this week, when I got the initial email requesting a call I was dreading the worse and being told there was no job. The cut isn't great but I don't have an alternative and it is still a better deal than I am currently on. Plus with the late notice it would be challenging to find another job.

17. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

This must be so hard for everyone facing it.
    I see that people are taking both approaches (in and out), and you all have good reasons for it. It's easy enough for someone to have an opinion about what you "should" do, but unless you have walked a mile in their shoes, it's best to let people determine for themselves what is their best move.
    Wishing you all the best in these difficult times.

Milkwithtwo and Interista like this.
  18. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

But does your UK job include free accommodation? With that covered, your disposable income can be much greater in the UAE.

19. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

..... as long as your free accommodation isn't the lower bunk bed in a shared room in a shared flat. What ya gonna do if you arrive and find out the studio you were promised is now shared accommodation, and you have a pay cut? My own experience is that you never find out until you arrive, and then you're caught between a rock hard place and a rock ...

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There are 1000 applicants for secretary jobs at the moment. The retail sector will never recover. Tons of London's money comes from Rich Arabs who may very well be not-so rich Arabs in the coming months with the collapse of the UAE.

Remember what happens when private industry collapses - those graduates aim for the safety of the public sector. In a year's time we'll have the first influx of newly qualified NQTs who will happily replace those more expensive teachers as heads struggle with inevitably reduced budgets due to the financial impact of COVID.