1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay cut for temp post or risk unemployment

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kelly_brock31, Apr 27, 2016.

1. kelly_brock31

kelly_brock31 New commenter

I am so anxious about this.

I was told at Feb half term that I would have to leave my current post where I am (found out recently!) on UPS1.
    I have been trying, fruitlessly so far, to get into middle leadership and am currently taking my SENCO qualification. I have been applying for jobs in both primary and secondary but as I am an SEN teacher without GCSE and very little A -level experience I feel very limited. I also don't drive as financial circumstances have prevented me.
    I was offered a one year job on Monday in a local primary school but they are going to downgrade me to MPS4 due to the need to give me training to change phase. When I got home to crunch the numbers I was astounded to see how much I would be losing. There is also the risk that I won't get another job offer or might not find another job this time next year. I have applications outstanding and I know that there could be more jobs in the run up to half term but I am so torn. I have recently taken on a bigger mortgage and spent 5 years working for this pay grade and don't want to have to take another 5 to get back.

2. kelly_brock31

kelly_brock31 New commenter

A few colleagues have suggested that I take the job but keep looking but then I heard that I would be in breach of contract if I did and would be blacklisted with the local authority. I don't want to burn bridges but I don't want to lose so much money either

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Kelly,

It is awful and I am not sure what to advise regarding the wage. Sorry.

But could you rent out a room. My good friend went through a hideous divorce. She had two children & three bed room house. She got the kids to bunk up, and rented one room out. I am not certain, but she didn't have to pay tax.

Would that be an option for you?

SSS

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, how VERY stressful for you!

I am going to make it worse . . . there is no guarantee that you could get back in 5 years. You see, there is no longer any national pay scales with automatic payrise up the scale each year. It all depends on the Pay Policy of the individual school. :(

And more bad news. Not only might you not get any of these jobs (which of course you know), there is no guarantee that they would pay you your current salary either. :( :(

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Yes, accepting a job then continuing looking could be a problem; both schools could withdraw their offers. :(

Two interviews and a dilemma

You would be paying less tax, of course, so your number crunching may not be 100% accurate.

This is a big decision, a gamble, and it is you and your family who will need to decide this. I am really sorry that I cannot be more helpful to you. :(

Best wishes for a satisfactory outcome

emerald52 likes this.
  5. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Thanks to the Government's Rent a Room scheme, you can currently earn up to £4,250 in rental income per year without paying a single penny in tax.

6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Rent a room has gone up to £7500 pa. So you could charge about £600 a month and not pay tax.

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Could you negotiate? You could say you are really keen blah, blah, blah but financially it is really tricky for you. Maybe you could meet in the middle at M6, would that make enough of a difference? Even M5 is a nice step up from M4. You might as well ask (very nicely) for what you want, you never know, you might get it!

emerald52 likes this.
  8. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

That's very useful to know, thank you.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Could you also look at jobs outside teaching, at least temporarily?