1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay cut due to Corona virus - even though schools have reopened?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mr1303, May 4, 2020.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im fine with it. If only @4091775 would stop posting lies. They just troll me because i point out the inaccuarcies and lies in their posts about their made up experience.

2. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

You are all silly billies, childish, sad and lonely. But hey, keep posting about each other if it makes you happy. Or you could grow up and post about the topics rather then the posters.

pglennon likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It would be nice

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I just heard of another school cutting salaries, on the beautiful island of Phuket.

5. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Which one? The U.K. school, the K school (wouldn’t surprise me) or the HS one?

6. grdwdgrrrl

UW one.

7. IndigoViolence

Not good. Where one goes, I fear the others will follow. Hope those staff are ok.

8. grdwdgrrrl

50% cut.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

No, not good. 50% cut is basically telling your staff to leave.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  10. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

50%? Phukdat!

pglennon likes this.
  11. IndigoViolence

Wow. Phuket is not a cheap island to live and if you have commitments such as mortgages and pensions, then you have some serious decisions to make. If our school cut 50 % here, we would stand to lose a lot and would have no choice but to go home.

12. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Wow, that really is a bit rich. I hadn't heard many good things about that particular school but a 50% pay cut is robbery. What about mortgages etc? However, it isn't in the league of any of the other UW's is it...I doubt if this would happen in Hong Kong, Singapore or even Atlantic College.

Perce

13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

UW is simply another franchise and seems to be going the way of all flesh!

14. grdwdgrrrl

I chatted with someone I know who's there, today. It came out of the blue and it's retroactive to May. Pretty crappy if you ask me. They're not that established yet, low student numbers and the like.

15. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Well, we got an email yesterday here in sunny Kuwait.

we have no pay cut but......

no flights out will be provided. If we want to leave we have to pay for it ourselves. We already have to come back first week of August and do an extra month unpaid, but they’ve now said we will not get July’s salary. We will get July and August’s salary at the end of August with flight money.

all designed, of course, to keep us prisoner here, make sure we don’t leave, and make sure we’re here that first week of August.

16. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'They're not that established yet,' - I thought it had taken over an established school? Maybe the original school was struggling hence the takeover?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.