1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay confusion!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Duff77, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Duff77

Duff77 New commenter

Not sure how the English system compares to the Scottish one but re-posting for traffic...

Hi folks, I need advice before I contact the council regarding my proposed salary.

I have recently started with a new council in Scotland on a 0.6fte contract. The contract states my salary will be £27438 fte - common scale point 1.

With my former council I was on Point 6 of the teacher scale, with manyyears experience, so my question is, do I drop down the scale having simply moved councils or have they made a mistake?

0.6 of £36480 is a far cry from 0.6 of £27438!

Any advice gratefully received :)

Duff.

2. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

You could ask the school or HR Dept. of the Council have they made a mistake. You could contact your Union ,when their offices open on Tuesday and seek advice.

3. Duff77

Duff77 New commenter

Thanks Shevington but I was hoping to be armed with the facts before contacting those places.

Thanks for replying.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I presume there IS pay portability still in Scotland (unlike England).
    Assuming there is, then it looks like they have made a mistake. If there ISN'T, then like in England, anything goes!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A quick Google search found this. http://www.snct.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Part_2_Section_1 . Assuming that this is the official position, it appears that the system is the same as it used to be in England - you move up a point every year in which you work during at least 26 weeks, and this is not affected by moving schools.

On the basis that a lot of these turn out to be incompetence rather than anything more sinister, I think the way to start is with "I think there has been a mistake..." Reiterate you experience and point on the scale. That should, I hope, do the trick. If not, then you do need to quote the rules, possibly getting your union to help. But leave that until you know that it is not just a mistake.

Sad that these rules don't still apply in England.:(

6. Duff77

Duff77 New commenter

Thanks, Strawbs.

I’m hoping there is still pay portability here, however I’m disappointed to hear this is not the case in England.

Time will tell.

7. Duff77

Duff77 New commenter

Thanks so much for this, Piranha

Several google searches later and I still couldn’t find anything like this, hence the thread.

Taking your advice on board now I feel confident enough to go with the “I think there’s been a mistake” approach with some facts behind me.

Thanks again,

Duff

strawbs likes this.
  8. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

No pay portability in England? Since when? Do you have any documents/information sources I can look at to verify this?

9. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

10. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I knew about all of it but the pay portability! That's crazy - thank God every school I work/have worked with has ignored that and kept me on UPS 3.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is in STPCD. If you are working under those conditions, you really should read it, along with the Burgundy Book. Both can be found easily via Google. STPCD was revised to remove pay portability some time ago, meaning you need to negotiate salary before accepting a new job. It also removed references to M1, M2.... and UPS 1, 2..., although many schools still use them. Teachers really need to know their rights.

12. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

I agree with Piranha that all teachers should have copies of STPCD and the Burgundy Book. As we well no many teachers have no idea about their conditions of service are and what is really going in Education.