1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Appeal: Win!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacher_abc123, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Just want to share some positive news, after a few months of constant worry and fear. At first I was terrified about the thought of appealing and fighting for my pay progression. I was anxious, ill, occasionally wanting to quit teaching and quit life.

However, with support of many friends, family and NASUWT, I found strength. It was so good to hear from so many others that actually, my headteacher had handled the year and the process poorly.

I decided: enough is enough! Face the thing you fear most. You only live once, so stick up for yourself and stand up for what is right.

We didn't get to the formal appeal stage, but to the pay committee hearing before it. It was a sheer delight that the governors were 100% behind me and that I didn't receive any questions or criticisms from them. It was all directed towards the headteacher. I can't quite believe it. It's very surreal.

By the end of the process, I cared less about the money and more about the principle - something was wrong and I HAD to point it out. I had to make other people see.

Us teachers are worthy :)

2. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Excellent union: they’ve advised me well with the performance management targets and procedures, resulting in an overdue pay rise. Well done!

3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Well done! The NASUWT is very bullish on pay progression.

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m pleased to hear this as I’ve just changed to them due to last lot being useless. Well done to you @Teacher_abc123! :)

TEA2111 and Teacher_abc123 like this.
  5. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

Have a VERY happy Christmas!

Teacher_abc123 likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done, enjoy Christmas and the back pay.
    It is a possibility that your head may not take a challenge to their authority well. Possibly time to polish the CV.
    Good luck.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yay!

Good for you.

And good for "my" union too!

So good to hear about this.

8. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Excellent news!

Teacher_abc123 likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Congratulations!
    Hope this will give you a fabulous Christmas.
    Maybe a few scales have fallen from the eyes of your governors...?

lardylegs, TEA2111 and Teacher_abc123 like this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Brilliant to hear. Well done, I don't know you but feel very pleased for you.
    I'm going through a 'standing up for myself thing' with my school at the moment, it's gruelling, making me feel guilty and I don't know what the outcome will be but this has given me encouragement and like you say it is the principle. We teachers definitely need to start standing up more for ourselves and stop doing all these hours of unpaid work etc.

11. Teacher_abc123

You can do it! It's very scary and emotional opening yourself up to attack, but it's so rewarding being able to point out things which are wrong. We all deserve to come to work feeling happy and not under threat from bullying senior teachers and headteachers. They need to cut it out - either retrain or go. How terrible that so many suffer in silence. We all need to take a stand :)

Bedlam3 and TEA2111 like this.
  12. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Very pleased for you @Teacher_abc123. WELL DONE!!

I hope that in the New Year I'll have good news too about my case, and that my faith in procedures and systems will be restored. It's important to share these victories with others to help give them strength to stand up for themselves.

13. Teacher_abc123

Thank you!! Good luck @TEA2111 ! You can do it! We're all rooting for you! :)

TEA2111 likes this.
  14. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Don’t be put off by thinking it’s personal, it’s not, it’s just money. You think you deserve it and your boss disagrees. Just keep it about facts and state your case, everybody is entitled to appeal and there is nothing to be afraid of - it’s just a process. Remember it’s not the head’s money.

15. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Well done to the NASUWT here. However it doesn’t make up for them being a bunch of surrender monkies who, a lot of the time, wouldn’t back up the NUT by striking.

lardylegs likes this.