1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay and conditions

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by PEmonkey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. PEmonkey

PEmonkey New commenter

Hi,

I have joined an academy which has signed up to teachers pay and conditions. There is a lot of stress put on senior management to effect change and get results. Our director of learning (deputy head in old money) has told us, amongst other things that;
    a) the school comes before our home life, family and friends
    b) we owe the school 40 hours a year (directed) therefore they can tell us to stop back after work for meetings etc. and make us come in at weekends if an inspection is expected.
    c) that as an AST I will be expected to work for 2 weeks of my 6 weeks holidays on site
    d) that she will be 'supporting' year 6 staff by dropping in on lessons to inspect standards (so far this week i've had over 2x45min 'checking of standrds sessions')
    now this is an all through academy rec-yr11, i am in the rec-6 phase and it is only the primary staff being spoken to in this way the secondary staff do not except any of this sh1t. I'm fairly savvy when it comes to knowing my rights but i would greatly appreciate others opinions on any of the topics i listed.

thanks

2. PEmonkey

PEmonkey New commenter

Hi,

I have joined an academy which has signed up to teachers pay and conditions. There is a lot of stress put on senior management to effect change and get results. Our director of learning (deputy head in old money) has told us, amongst other things that;
    a) the school comes before our home life, family and friends
    b) we owe the school 40 hours a year (directed) therefore they can tell us to stop back after work for meetings etc. and make us come in at weekends if an inspection is expected.
    c) that as an AST I will be expected to work for 2 weeks of my 6 weeks holidays on site
    d) that she will be 'supporting' year 6 staff by dropping in on lessons to inspect standards (so far this week i've had over 2x45min 'checking of standrds sessions')
    now this is an all through academy rec-yr11, i am in the rec-6 phase and it is only the primary staff being spoken to in this way the secondary staff do not except any of this sh1t. I'm fairly savvy when it comes to knowing my rights but i would greatly appreciate others opinions on any of the topics i listed.

thanks

3. PEmonkey

PEmonkey New commenter

Thanks for the comments.
    This is how I view the points that i've mentioned, i'm not sure if i'm right on all counts;
    a) you can't suggest this as SMT have a care of duty to their staff and the work life balance conetations are huge.
    b) the so called 40 hours is generally considered as time spent doing reports, parents evenings etc and apart from anything else in the pay and conditions book there is a cap on the number of hours we're supposed to work.
    c) according to my union my AST hours are capped the same as any other teachers, although i am SMT i am not expected to work over and above as a head or deputy would have to (this is according to the ATL)
    d)my director of learning has to be very careful with regards to drop ins, any sniff of it being out of a coaching and mentoring role and staff could accuse her of bullying and/or going outside of the agreed 3 hours observations.

thanks for your replies it good hearing how other people view and word their greviances unions do appear to have a lot of say within this school so its not all bad, just a case of putting my point together before i make it. teaching is a stressful job in any school so it does **** me off when other teachers are put under even more stress by bullying behaviour from SMT.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you are paid on the leadership spine, I'm afraid this is simply not true. Those on leadership spine have different conditions of service and your union rep is wrong.

5. Also, the supposed 3 hour limit on observations is a fiction. There is a 3 hour limit on PM related observations; unless the school has serious concerns regarding the quality of T&L. There is, however, no limit on the number of observations which may be carried out for other purposes.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No so.
    Perhaps you should read the information on the ATL web site.
    <h4>Advanced skills teachers</h4>Advanced skills teachers (AST) are not covered by the contractual limit on working hours.
    ASTs are classroom teachers who have a role to spread best practice within a group of schools. ASTs are still directed in their duties in the same way as classroom and excellent teachers and, as such, ATL believes that ASTs should be afforded the protection of the same contractual limit of 1,265 hours per 195 days of the school year.
    See: http://www.atl.org.uk/policy-and-campaigns/policies/working-time.asp
    So, ASTs are NOT covered by the contractual limit on working hours, although the ATL thinks they should be.
    But not yet.
    I trust, though, that having pointed out to you that your line manager is right and you are wrong, you are not automatically going to brand me or my behaviour "bullying".