1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pay and conditions in middle east

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Drdocter, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I am thinking of working in the middle east and would like some some advice on the pay and conditions. what are normal working hours?
    when does the school year start?
    how many working days are there in a school year?
    are there restrictions on your movements/ do you need a permit to travel around the country?
    do you have to live in school accomadation?

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

The middle east is a big place. Can you be a bit more specific?

3. Hi
    I'm thinking of qatar or dubia

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Comparing salaries between the UK and Qatar is not a straightforward thing because you are not comparing like with like. In the UK, for example, you will have to pay Income Tax, Council Tax, rent or a mortgage, water bills, electricity bills, heating bills, petrol at £1.30 a litre and maybe £5 just to park your car. In Qatar you won't be paying any of those things. You will, of course, have to pay for food and on the whole that is about the same price as in the UK or maybe a bit more expensive. Alcohol is available in the posh hotels at exorbitant prices or a bit cheaper if you have a licquor licence for the QDC.
    The downside is that most schools do not pay a penny towards your pension. This is not something that bothers my younger colleagues, but now that I am an old and wrinkled pachyderm I find myself more concerned about retirement.
    Having said all of the above, I still believe that most teachers in Qatar manage to save a significant slice of their earnings. How large a proportion might really depend more on your spending habits than on your actual income.

5. Thanks for the feedback, what i'm interested in is how easy is it travel around the country or would i be tied down to just the town/ area I work in. what happens if you don'y like the job and want to leave?
    I know it sounds like I'm not being enthusiastic but I would like to know what my options are if things go pear shaped.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Travelling around Qatar is easy. Get into your car and your can drive the whole length of the country in maybe two hours. From Doha to the KSA or the UAE is another matter. As well as the redtape at the borders, there is a long stretch of desert road with no sign of habitation for mile after mile. It is not somewhere to break down, especially if the temperature is over 40 degrees. Once I drove all the way from Doha to Muscat and back, but I'd never do it again.

7. alternatively you could get yourself a Karwa Bus Card. Its a cashless system on the bus. They run pretty freuentlyfrom 6am to 9pm 7 days a week. In Doha anywhere it's about 60p single anywhere. You could travel from Doha to Al Khor for no more than 3 pounds. Doha to Dukhan on the west coast for a fiver. The advantage of bus is you'd be mingling with locals - guaranteed to be male passengers. The workers actually from the Indian sub continent in the main.Why wouldnt you do that long drive again Hippo? Im considering a trek Qatar to Rome - island hopping en route.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If things go pear shaped?
    Depends.
    If you want to leave the country for good, probably not hard too hard to arrange. Most employers would cooperate in helping you leave if necessary. Some would make it harder, but in the end, unless you ran afowl of the law, you would get out. (Hippo reports knowing someone who's been stuck for quite a spell due to the law, but I've been here a good handful of years and not known a single Westener who had such an issue.)
    If you want to switch employers and stay in Qatar, you'll need permission from your original employer. They don't have to say yes, and whether they do will depend on a) their quality and b) the circumstances of your leaving.
    You mention that you might seem less than enthusiastic. I have to admit, it does seem that way to me. If you're overly worried about this, maybe this isn't the right time or place for you to move.