1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay and Conditions China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JINTY67, Oct 13, 2019.

1. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Feb31 - you are right on no.3, but I don't agree with no.1.

First, SA teachers still have an extra hoop to go through regarding whether or not they are native English speakers. The ones I've met here tend to have UK passports so it doesn't apply to them, but as I understand it China still doesn't recognize SA as being one of the native English speaking countries. Aussie and NZ living costs are still greater even than the UK so if a teacher is planning to return or retire there they still need the higher salary.

I think the PGCE(I) influx depends on your school. Although they train those, I don't see the top level UK schools hiring them - hypocritical, maybe, but realistic I strongly suspect.

No.3 is probably the key thing. The concept of investing to grow your business rather than just make as much money as quickly as you can hasn't quite caught on here yet, similar to the Middle East.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

All the SA teachers I know are on a SA passport and a couple of years ago they believed they would be refused a new visa under the native English language rule.

But then China did a big deal over the purchase of mineral supplies and all of a sudden SA teachers had their visa's renewed.

3. pr1y4uk

pr1y4uk New commenter

I bought home £2600 month but closer to £3000 before Brexit due to exchange rate.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As this smelly old hippo has pointed out, many times, it is not simply a matter of how big your salary is. A very big salary is not very big at all if your living costs are high, you have to run a car and your have to pay full whack for your child's school fees.

Mrs. Hippo and her overweight husband saved a bunch of cash during their five years in China. We also had some great holidays, both in China and in the Philippines. It was easy to have a good lifestyle in China, while at the same time being able to put away a fair old pile of dosh each month.

Anyone who is thinking of teaching in the Middle Kingdom might perhaps find it interesting to read my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

TeacherMan19 likes this.