1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay and Conditions China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JINTY67, Oct 13, 2019.

1. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Hi

Looking for information on expected salary and conditions for posts in China .
    Leadership posts and primary teaching posts .
    Thanks for your help .

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Bad and going down!

Please give some idea about school type and location as this has a great bearing on the package offered.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Feb 31 has some good guidance on your other post for Shanghai. For Beijing, I'd say the salaries are about the same (slightly lower, possibly) but you should expect around 13 - 14000 RMB per month accommodation and a higher flight allowance than Shanghai because the average flight cost from Beijing is higher.

spanboy likes this.
  4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Oh - watch out for the holidays too. Some schools are cutting back on the Winter holidays - so while some still give 3 weeks, others have cut to 2 and some are switching to the main Chinese rather than Western holidays (a day at Christmas if you're lucky, and the main winter break around Chinese New Year.)

5. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Lots of different factors will depend on the conditions you receive, such as whether it is an international school or a bilingual school, and what city and even part of the city the school is in.

For example, the bilingual schools (essentially Chinese private schools) in Shanghai have had their Christmas holiday banned as @amysdad stated, however, Beijing is fine (currently!). Housing in Beijing seems to be around the 11,000RMB mark for a single person, unless your at one particular school with international in the title that offers a lot more. More is offered for families etc.

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I'd heard that the academy in the west of the city was quite generous too.

7. february31st

Christmas holidays have not been banned but are difficult to fit with an early CNY.

Some Chinese schools will run split holidays of western and Chinese staff. Western staff will get the 23Dec to 2Jan off school and then get a week of Professional Development 20Jan to 25Jan followed by 2 weeks holiday.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  8. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Thanks ,

Thanks , Shanghai. It will be an early years leadership post just at the early stages of application .

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am not sure that I can agree with some of the previous comments. I was paid rather more generously at my old school in Shenzhen, compared to what I am currently getting in Sofia. Yes, I would definitely say that there is a lot of variety and some schools pay much better than others. Similarly, the range of benefits on offer can vary a lot.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

My experiences of China are somewhat different from the negative comments that have been made so far. I'm paid well, live in nice accommodation, receive good medical insurance, annual flights, bonus, good CPD opportunities etc

11. february31st

Maybe Hippo we were paid the value of our worth to the school, so a high salary indeed for both of us.

But a serious note, many international schools pay their bankers in hard foreign currency and they know the exchange rates and pay staff accordingly. Ten years ago to take home 2500GBP required 30000rmb, today its 22000rmb. Many of the international schools have cut their pay to follow this downward trend. The Chinese schools are still using the old pay structures regardless of exchange rates for the rmb and it is possible including housing allowance to take home 45k rmb.

Last years tax cut put an extra 1800rmb in my bank account each month. I know a few schools in Shanghai that have cut their salaries by this amount and not passing the windfall onto staff.

The new Bilingual schools are all for profit and it has to be split 2 ways between Chinese investors and Western Merchant Bankers, teachers are not going to be well paid!

Factor in the tax limit of around 450000rmb is in the 25% tax band, anything over that is 30%. So that is the upper salary limit for most teaching and deputy heads jobs in Shanghai.

So a realistic salary range for Shanghai would be 24 to 44000rmb per month before tax.

Schools in Shanghai pay between 8 to 12500rmb per month tax free, some pay more especially if its a couple with children. But in about 18months this will become taxable at 25%, with only 1500 tax free.

Big equestions on the taxation of free school places for teachers children yet to be answered.

12. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Again, disagree with the negative posts. I do very well at my current school. Generous everything.

13. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I thought the new tax laws are due to come in place at the start of 2022, so approximately 26 months time rather than the 18 months that you've just mentioned?

14. february31st

I did mention that generous packages were available in China but they are becoming less abundant, schools no longer pay for P&O cruise ships home.

Correct new tax regulations come in on the end of 2021. So by the time you come and start work in China August 2020 it will be 16 months before new tax regulations take effect. Most school contracts are for 2 years so it will impact before the end of your 2nd year for 6 months.

15. yasf

Are there any non profit British schools in mainland China ?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. february31st

By Chinese law all private schools have to be "none profit" making. Maybe one or two schools and their organizations could be described as "less profit" making with any surplus going to help spread the gospel around the world.

But with some new Bilingual schools charging 25000GBP tuition for a nursery school, its all about the money.

17. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I get 8000rmb/month for teacher + trailing spouse in Beijing. I know of a very overpopulated bilingual school where I would get only 6000 if I were there!

18. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I am quite happy with my lot so far in China, caveat only been here one month. Can happily save 1000 pounds a month whilst supporting a family of 4. I know I could proably earn more elsewhere in China, but I am 50 and have already sorted my latter years out. For me though it's not about the money, max class size is set in stone at 18, kids are nice, staff are nice, facilities are good, paid on time every month. Doesn't seem to be any office politics and SLT seem to know what they are doing. Wouldn't trade this for a mystery result of heading to another job.

flyuplife likes this.
  19. yasf

I'll take that as a 'no' then.

20. february31st

The reasons why pay and conditions are heading downwards is the rise of the Chinese economy and the exchange rate.

1. In the last 10 years the rmb has strengthened by 50% and nation's like South Africa have had their country's economic position fall into the toilet. A South African will happily take half my pay for when its sent back home. Check the exchange rates for Australia and New Zealand over the last few years for similar changes to the currency. Schools in China are not limited to UK teachers when it comes to hiring staff.

2. The increase of applicants with iPGCE taking the jobs of qualified teachers.(in China a 3 yr Degree is all that is required for a teaching work visa anyway)

3. The schools are owned by Chinese businessmen/women or a large foreign multinational company.