1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay advice

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hlpgrich, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hlpgrich

hlpgrich New commenter

After 19 years teaching i have left my job and moved out of london. I am setting up my own business with my husband. However i decided to take a part time job teaching a mixed class of Y1 & 2. The head offered me the job straight away and we have just got down to the nitty gritty of pay. He says the salary is M2. I was on U3. Do i have any room to negotiate here? Would it be crazy to take such a drop in pay? Any advice gratefully received.

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

As you were on U3 you should have negotiated at the interview. Have you accepted on M2?

3. hlpgrich

hlpgrich New commenter

It was a temporary position. I went to look round the school, then applied, thinking the interviews would be today. I got called by the head on Tuesday saying they'd like to hire me and welcome to the team! No interview! I was so shocked, i didnt ask about pay until the next day and then he didn't reply till this morning. I asked if there was any room for negotiation as it seemed a bit unfair for someone with 19 years experience to receive the same pay as someone in their second year. He said there was no wriggle room so I very politely declined the position. It would be so demoralising with all my experience to work for that salary!

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Good for you.
    HT's must pay a fair salary.
    They enjoy a decent salary but must not be at the expense of others.