1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Advice

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by marniott, Jun 22, 2011.

1. marniott

marniott New commenter

Hi all,

I am after advice regarding my starting pay and subsequent pay increments.

I am an NQT who has been working in a primary school since January this year. By the end of this school year I will have completed 2 full terms of my NQT Induction. I have recently been advised (staff room gossip!) that I should have started on a higher pay point. I am currently on M1 (£21,588). I was advised this because I have several years experience as a TA and also am over the age of 30 (I have no idea where the age comes into this - only what I was told!). So to my questions...

1) Is the fact that I have several years experience as a TA (4 years) a factor that should be taken into consideration?

2) Does the age of a person affect the starting salary?

3) When I start at a new school in September (Maternity Cover) will I still be on M1 or will I move up the pay scale?

Many thanks in advance.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

1) It could be, but it doesn't have to be and to be honest it's too late now, the time to discuss it was at the interview
    2) No, I started teaching aged 43 and was on M1
    3) If you have worked for 26 weeks or more on a local authority contract ( rather than through a supply agency) you will move up to M2 in September and from Jan to September should see you comfortably over the 26 week limit!

3. marniott

marniott New commenter

Thanks CarrieV - I did suspect the answers you gave to 1 and 2. Question 3 I had not heard of but I will be checking on that.

Anyone any ideas where this notion of being older means you start on a higher pay comes from??

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No idea - The idea of deserving a higher starting salary based on age is ridiculous - and of course 'agist' to those younger. It is purely on date of qualification, and back in the days of teacher shortage, sometimes prior related experience was taken into account, but those days seem to have vanished in the current climate.

5. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Older can (but doesn't always) mean more relevant experience, which might have been used to justify starting on M2. Apart from that, I see no reason why older should mean more pay.

6. marniott

marniott New commenter

Thanks Daisy and Pirhana - comments appreciated...as I suspected just one of those rumours that people hear and then carry on!! At least I will be on M2 come September!!