1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pavlova - quick question!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I've made a pavlova for a bbq we're off to in an hour. How long before it's served can I assemble it? The topping is double cream, strawberries and a bit of couli, drizzled over, made from the strawberries and icing sugar.
    Thanks!

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

When I do a pavlova to take to family parties, I take the topping ingredients and assemble at the party when it's going to be served, to avoid any sogginess. Sorry, that's not much help.

3. Thanks, Si, for your words of advice. In the end I put the cream and strawberries on top just before we left. We ate the pavlova a few hours later and I drizzled the couli on top before serving. Everyone loved it, I'll definitely make a pavlova again, it was just so easy! The other pudding was a chocolate fondue so melted chocolate was also drizzled over, yum yum!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

In theory you are meant to assemble a pavlova within an hour of eating it.
    I love the sogginess that you get when you leave the cream on longer. As long as you keep it in the fridge I find a bit different in texture, but perfectly lovely the next day.
    Now you have discovered how easy pavlova is I recommend Nigella's chocolate and raspberry pavlova. My hubbie's favourite pud. Good that he is so easy to please!

5. Ooh, bombay, I nearly opted for the Nigella pavlova you've recommended! I decided to play it safe with a strawb version as a first attempt. I got the recipe from the bbq good food website, it was a Greg Wallace recipe and worked perfectly. I'm a huge fan of Nigella's pudding/cake recipes especially her Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake, a firm favourite in our house.
    Mr J's not fussy, he'll eat anything I put in front of him!