1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul Noble Language Institute

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by petbell, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I find this thread very interesting as I have actually purchased this company's Chelmsford franchise. If it's any help, I can describe what this involved initially for me and about the processes that I am now taking part in and it may help give you a better idea of what's involved.

What apasavage says is more or less correct and sounds quite similar to what they discussed with me initially. The only difference being that they have discussed their previous earnings with me in some detail.

As for what I have got for the money, well there is the website that has been mentioned, which is useful from my perspective in large part because it has the same type of updatable booking page that their original website has and this is what I am going to be using to take the majority of my bookings. I've already had a go using it and it's pretty cool. I can add the date, location, language, price etc and it then appears on the booking page and people can then just go to the site and book automatically using their credit / debit card. They also said that I can obviously take cheques, do bank transfers, take payments over the phone or whatever but personally I have a preference for an automated, on-line system - this is very much the way that I plan to work.

I've also been pleased with the support that's been given so far and the training schedule they've set for me. There are a number of training days I will now be attending, which cover a few different areas - stuff like marketing and PR - as well as training days to learn how to teach using the method that they use and also on how to write new courses using that method. This particularly interests me as I am planning to teach continental languages to English speakers for the first year / two years, but after that I am planning in the longer term to also begin teaching English as well, using this method, to students from Europe. They have said that my training can focus substantially on how to write courses to do this, if that's what I would like to focus on.

I suppose that the other important thing they have done so far is also to talk to me about how they will be coordinating their own PR and advertising efforts with my own in preparation for my launch. I think that the fact they get into big newspapers like the Times and Guardian and on the BBC has to be a definite boon for me and my business.

Anyway, I can only say that at this stage I am pretty pleased with everything that's happened and been provided so far (touch wood!). I must say that on the one hand I was very much re-assured after I made the purchase and everything got moving. Going through the training schedule, discussing their own earnings with them, looking at the inner workings of their website and seeing how many hits they get each day has all re-assured me and I feel that what they deliver in terms of support is fairly substantial. On the other hand I also think that I already on a personal level felt ready for this type of step. I have been thinking about how to open a language school where I live for more than a year now and have been checking out the how the market works during that time. It seems to me that the market for foreign languages is actually fairly big, when you take into account adult learners, school kids (which you can teach as well), business people etc and I think that as long as you have a way to keep overheads down, which is what first attracted me to this particular franchise, profits can be fairly high. From what I saw, their profits are much higher than the 30% someone here suggested.

Anyway, so far I feel very positive about what I've experienced.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for that (despite the lack of paragraphs . . .).
    Does this mean that there is a guarantee that no-one else will be set up in Chelmsford?
    And for how many miles around?
    I am a tad concerned about too many being started up in any one place, so would be good to hear your views and experience on this particular point.
    And how about the biggie - how many people are actually signing up? If it's working for you, others might be interested.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Hi TheoGriff

Yes, there's a guarantee that no-one else can set up in Chelmsford or in a radius that gives me an area of about 900,000 people. All the areas seem to have been set with about a million people in mind.

As I say, I'm at the very beginning of my own start up process but so far everything is very positive. I do feel very supported and because of the size of my area, there are undoubtedly more than enough customers for the school I'm going to run.

Thanks for your encouragement!

4. Sorry about the lack of paragraphing by the way. I put them in but then they disappear when I post!

5. Thanks for all these responses everybody, I really appreciate it.

I've
    actually had a chat with the paul noble franchise people since writing
    my original post and have received similar information to petbell,
    regarding how their language school model works and their own school's
    figures and numbers. I found what they have shown me quite convincing
    and am probably going to move ahead.

Anyway thanks again for all your responses.

Tom

6. Hi DarleyHoward,
    I suppose part of it for me simply came down to the fact that I'd been looking into this for a long time anyway and could see that there was a market there. Also the fact that they have run courses in Bedford and Milton Keynes as well as London showed me that it works in various places - and really it should. As I found during my own career as a language teacher, broadly speaking a million people from one part of the country tend to have a similar level of interest in learning foreign languages as a million people from another part of the country. If you do decide to go ahead, I would first check out exactly how many people will be included in the region you are interested in (there are about 900,000 in mine).
    I hope that's helpful!

7. Apasavage - sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To be honest I haven't made a decision yet. Christmas got in the way but I have started thinking about it seriously again. I am still very interested and would love to think it would be a successful business venture for me - the teaching side of it all doesn't worry me in the slightest. I love teaching and think the Paul Noble methodology is great. What does worry me though is actually being able to ensure that I get enough people each month.

Before Christmas I tried putting "French classes in plus the area I'm interested in" into Google and no mention at all came up of Paul Noble. Also, yesterday I was looking through the Sunday Times Travel section - they were running an article on their suggestions for the best language courses - again, no mention of Paul Noble, whilst companies that I"m sure they class as their competitors (Rosetta Stone) etc were mentioned, very favourably. At the seminar I attended in London before Christmas one of the big selling points that was being pushed was their big media and internet presence so that does concern me. Things do also seem to have gone quiet on Twitter etc.

What did you decide - or are you still pondering like me?

8. I too am still pondering, having done much the same as you re Google research. I did see an advert again on the jobrapido site by Paul Noble looking for people to start a franchise - this is where I first saw them. My worries/concerns are exactly the same as yours. Would be good to have more info from someone who has bought a franchise and is now actually up and running.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would like to repeat that although this is on my forum here, and someone has given it 5 stars (who?), I am not in any way recommending this scheme.
    Appropriate and knowledgeable people should be approached for advice before any investment of any kind is made into any franchise or indeed into any investment scheme or funds.
    And I am neither appropriate nor knowledgeable!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

10. It appears that I have rated it 5 stars (but I do not recall making any such rating!!!) Must have clicked on the wrong button somewhere- the mouse on my netbook is very sensitive. How do I remove it???

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can't!
    I'll rate it 1, so that overall it goes down.
    Cheers!

12. So - the big question is - is there anybody out there who can help us in our decsion making? Are you someone who has taken the plunge with a Paul Noble Language School franchise? If so, we'd love to hear from you about how it's going!