1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul McKenna - I Can Make You Thin

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon1165, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Today I was browsing books in a charity shop and came across Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin As someone has mentioned this previously in this forum, I started leafing through the book. It seems that it promotes the following ideas:
    <ol>[*]When you are hungry - eat.[*]Eat what you want, not what you think you should (= trust your body, it will tell you to eat the right nutrients)[*]When you are full, stop.</ol>I have no problem with 1., although what comes to mind is an interview with a bariatric surgeon who said people somehow got this idea that being hungry was bad. He said animals don't snack, i.e. a lion does not say "I'll just have a squirrel to tide me over till the next zebra", but humans somehow got this idea that being hungry has to be avoided at any cost.
    As for 2, well, then obviously my body will never crave chocolate since it has no nutrients, it's mostly ready-made sugar (unhealthy, the body can manufacture its own sugars from complex carbohydratess) and unhealthy types of fat. So just by deciding to follow McKenna's system I won't ever think of cakes, ice-cream, chocolate, chips and whipped cream. (Now why am I thinking of cholocalte while I am writing this?)
    3. When you're full, stop. Well, isn't that the point? When people finish a casserole dish, they are usually full. So why do they eat dessert? If they were still hungry, they'd want more casserole, wouldn't they? So again, does this not cut out all dessert per se? But there's another issue as well. Most overweight people complain of lack of willpower. Of course they would like to stop after a handful of crisps, after two bites of chocolate, one slice of cake, a handful of cashew nuts. But they can't. If they could, there would be no need for McKenna's (or anyone's) system: they would just stop after two bites of chocolate and never get fat. No one says 2 bites of chocolate is bad for you.
    I have lost a considerable amount of weight by cutting out bread. Do I "want" bread? Every day. Should I eat it? Very rarely. But I have kept the weight off, and I don't keep bread at home at all. So I think I will stick to eating what I think I should, and also to going hungry now and then for a few hours as I think it's part of life.
    Any thoughts?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That's the one Kate Middleton and her mum are doing.

3. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I've read all your posts with interest... I just can't find the motivation any more. I indulge then hate myself when the sun comes out and I can't fit in any clothes! The Atkin's diet made me really ill and the only thing that worked was weight-watcher's points system. I like the idea of their new diet based on science and the way the body actually burns and uses food. Actually constantly doing it is another matter. Going to meetings to get weighed was the only thing that made me stick to the diet! I'm going to have to join again... once I'd lost the weight I could eat and not gain so long as I went back to the points system even after a holiday. Once completely abandoned it has taken me six years to put the weight back on. I had a period of six years where my weight stayed constant, it was brilliant. Oh well, it was good while it lasted! As for Paul McKenna that sounds good but I don't have the time to eat slowly!!

4. If Kate loses any weight she'll disappear and only teeth and hair will be left.

5. I did alright with Atkins but I only did it for five months. My kidney function is AOK, I know for a fact!
    I can Do A Diet but the thought of having to consider everything I put into my mouth forever after, and indeed not put it in having considered it, is why I don't keep the weight off. I can't remember the last time I felt too full to carry on eating if the food was nice (I can always stop for a stick of celery). If I did Paul McKenna's diet I'd be a cheese-guzzling, cream-soaked, bread-scoffing, steak-noshing lardarse.

6. [​IMG]
    My body is always telling me to eat KFC and anything cheese or pastry based!

7. There you go Lily. It's really not that hard to follow and does work. No alcohol though [​IMG]
    http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/id18.html
    Must get grapefruit tomorrow. Must drink open bottle of wine today!

8. Same here! :) My body keeps telling me to eat whole loaves of chocolate cake / lemon cake / madeira cake with squirty cream on every slice! [​IMG]

9. I spend too much time on here. When I saw lamb *** I presumed I was being offered lamb b0ll0cks or lamb cock.
    "Spinach - as much as you want" That'll be NONE THEN.
    Oh God the depressing sight of so much F*CKING SALAD. I hate it already.

10. [​IMG]
    I know Lily, but it does work. I'm looking forward to be able to breathe in that gorgeous pair of trousers I bought. I can now do them up but only if I hold my breath until I pass out.