1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul McKenna approach to weight loss

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by way2serious, Apr 26, 2011.

1. [​IMG] I think I have a foot in both camps...the P McK one, and the "I must watch what I eat, limit foods, count calories" one.
    I just cannot get on with 'diets' at all, or regimes, so I do think a more natural way to control eating and caring for ourselves has to be good. I DO know that 'diets' and weighing scales have actulally been counter-productive for me in the past, and more than that, they also messed with my head, my self-confidence and my self-esteem (because the minute you stop a diet the weight returns.) I just cannot bear the thought of being on a 'diet' for life or living as a fat woman for life...so now my way is healthy eating...and I rarely weigh myself. I am middle aged and find it very hard to shed the lbs, but slowly, slowly I am learning to enjoy good healthy foods and shun those which offer very little in the way of nutrition. I have learned to love water too...
    I like the fact that constant weighing is a no-no.
    I just abhor the diet industry but I also fully understand why women (mostly) keep it ticking over! Some people seem to need that support and the guidelines offered by slimming groups. I was talking about weight-loss with a friend recently and she mentioned P McK as her friend, also in her fifties, following his advice and methods, has successfully lost three stones in the space of a year without 'dieting' or becoming a gym junkie.
    Definitely worth investigating, for someone so useless at following diets, so anti-dieting - like me.

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Just upping this thread as it's a constant motivation and inspiration for me. Thanks for the support guys and the open-minded attitudes towards something that seems, at first, a bit weird.
    Just been flicking through the book again. I've allowed myself to get side-tracked by life. Suffering a double bereavement 4 weeks ago has kicked me completely off the rails. First I ate nothing. Then I just ate what I was given but never felt hungry. Then I progressed to comfort eating. This past week, I've just completely let it all slip.
    Time to re-focus the mind on what I want to achieve. My birthday is on Friday and I had wanted to achieve a 1 stone weightloss by then. That's out of the window, unfortunately, but I know that following this 'method' makes me lose weight quickly, so if I'm back on track tomorrow with the rules and the concentration and the listening to the CD, I know I can drop a few pounds before Friday. No need to desperate crash-dieting or detoxes.
    How is everyone else doing?

3. Still plodding away!
    Listening to the CD most days and trying to stick to the rules. Now on day 41 and have lost approx 1st 5lb, so very pleased, but still got plenty to lose. Still struggling to stay off the scales though - it's too tempting to check!!! And I'm only 2 pounds off going down to the next number stone!
    Had one or two slip ups when I just ate mindlessly and ended up overfull, but I've been able to get back to the plan the next day without beating myself up over it!!!
    And I haven't eaten chocolate for 6 weeks - never thought I'd be cured of that addiction!
    Happy Birthday Eva for Friday! x

4. Hi Eva I'm sorry for your losses.It's sounds like you have been through a very challenging time.i've not read every post on this subject so excuse me for asking any questions that have already been answered. I've got the Paul Mckenna 'i can make you thin' CD ,well actually it's on my ipod.I find it very relaxing the only problem is i keep falling asleep!!![​IMG] I never hear the entire 25 minutes.
    I have struggled with my weight for a long time and only ever had one good weight loss 2 1/2 stone with slimming world . Gradually the weight has crept back on over a 5 year period.[​IMG]
    I would love to start again and i'm sure with the support of others on this forum i could get motivated again !!!!!!!!!!!
    So here goes my questions
    I've not listened to it regulary so will this effect the chances of it working a second time?
    Do you need to read the book alongside the CD ?
    Does it still work if you fall asleep ?
    Should i weigh myself ?
    Thanks learntosayno xxx

5. fantastischfish

I've started and stopped a few times and I've always found that when I go back to it and stick to it, it works.
    I find it useful to delve into chapters regularly, and do the exercises described. I've read the whole book through a couple of times.
    I always fall asleep. In the book, PM himself says that many people do fall asleep, but that it can still work. However, there is no proof other than my own exerperience that it does.
    Once at the beginning, and then only once per fortnight. I have the 90 success journal which I fill in as I'm going (admittedly with a big chunk missing in the middle now, but I'll get back on it) and it allows a space for recording weight every 14 days.

6. Is this something you made yourself or a book you can buy ?
    I'm going to bed shortly so will start it tonight.I cant weigh myself because i disposed of my scales after last weight loss. Slimming consultant advised me to as i was constantly on them.I will use the local chemist once a fortnight.
    Thanks for replying. It's good to talk to others in the same boat. All my friends and work colleagues are skinny[​IMG] but hey i'm not bitter !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again
    learntosayno xxxx

7. fantastischfish

I meant the 90 day success journal. It's a book you can buy.
    Good luck x

8. I've been doing it for 4 weeks now and I have lost 7lb, I have got better at not weighing myself all the time. I am so pleased with my weight loss, I've got 10lb to go to get to what I used to be (though I'd like to lose a little more than that).

I fall asleep EVERY time I listen to the CD which I put on my iPod, In fact at the weekend I wanted to nap so went to fetch my iPod to help me fall asleep! On Paul McKenna's website it says that it still works as your subconscious mind is listening (or something like that) I definitely feel listening helps me anyway (sometimes I feel I've listened to quite a lot of it before I fall to sleep anyway). I have a much stronger will to follow the rules and always think when temptations are in the staffroom 'what do I really want? Do I want to eat that biscuit when I'm not hungry or do I want to look good in my bikini??! I want to look good in my bikini!' :) I've even got to the point where I'm thinking about food less and less, I eat when I'm hungry, I eat slowly, I stop when I'm full and I eat what I fancy pretty much automatically now! I feel listening to the CD is helping me do that.

I'm still astounded by how much I was overeating! I'm better at judging what size portions to put out for myself now that I've been doing it for 4 weeks and for instance yesterday for my tea I was having jacket potato and chilli (out of a tin) I would ordinarily have had a huge jacket potato and a whole tin of chilli. I put myself half a regular size jacket potato out and half a tin of chilli and I still left a little bit. So I was eating double the amount my body needed to be satisfied! Madness!

9. Well, I have had a terrible summer weight-wise and know that I must now do something!
    So I am dusting off the Paul McKenna book and CD and am determined to get back in the 'zone' and lose some weight before Christmas. Ideally I would like to lose just over a stone before then.
    How is everyone else doing? Are there any success stories to get me motivated again?

10. fantastischfish

Good for you Way2Serious, good luck with your efforts.
    I lost just under a stone over the summer holidays using the Paul Mckenna method in addition to excercising as much as I could. I'd ideally like to lose another stone, taking me to just over 10 stone, but I think that might be a bit much to maintain.

11. Oo, lovely to see this thread back in action again! I finished the 90 day program over the summer and tried to stick to the rules afterwards, but ended up struggling to keep it going. So I bought another copy of the 90 day success journal! I tried using just a notebook but needed all the helpful tips and things to keep me motivated.
    I've now lost nearly 3 stone, have gone down 2 dress sizes and feel tons better. Still got plenty of weight to lose but feel so much healthier!
    Good luck to everyone else! X

12. fantastischfish

Wow! Well done to you Caillou! So glad you have found it successful. What a great achievement, congratulations!
    Eva x x

13. Wow - you have both done really well!!
    I started the reading the book again last night and have been thinking about things today. I want to try to finish the book tomorrow and then start with the Cd and journal this week. Perhaps a few posts on here as well will help to keep us all motivated!
    keep up the good work everyone!