1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul McKenna approach to weight loss

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by way2serious, Apr 26, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Had a thought...why don't we all share a goal we want to achieve via the PM method?
    When I listen to the CD and visualise, like he says, how I will look as the slimmer me, I visualise the clothes I'll be able to wear. It sounds silly, but I haven't worn a pair of trousers for probably at least a year. I haven't worn my jeans for goodness know how long and don't wear trousers for work anymore. My ambition is to wear a pair of trousers like this:

http://www.warehouse.co.uk/paperbag-belted-trouser/Trousers-&-Leggings/warehouse/fcp-product/303864

I think I have about a stone to lose before I'd feel even willing to buy them with a view to wearing them some day. Ideally I'd like to lose a bit more than that. I'd absolutely love to just wear a pair of nice cropped trousers, and light shirt and some wedge shoes for a nice casual drink with friends, but instead I wear skirts that cover the bits I don't want seen! I carry weight on my stomach, hips and thighs so tricky areas to shift it from.
    Does anyone else want to share something from their 'visual ambition'? Do you have a target outfit?

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Would anyone mind telling me what the rules are and what the tapping technique is?

I am not being 'tight' and not buying the book (well I am not buying it but not for that reason!). I have recently lost about 3 stone and I know if I bought the book my husband would go on and on about how I don't need to lose any more weight etc .... but what he doesn't know is the constant internal argument I have with myself every day over every meal and snack and the mental calorie counting about everything .... I think I am probably at around the weight I should be, so it sounds as though Paul McKenna would help me stay that way without having such an obsessional relationship with food. Does that make sense?

From this threat I (think!) I have understood the following
    1) Eat slowly (and put down knife and fork beween each mouthful)
    2) Stop eating when full
    3) Only eat when hungry
    4) Something about drinking a lot of water
    5) Don't say 'I can't' have anything

Am I on the right lines? This makes so much sense to me, however I have fallen for the 'if you want it it's because you need it' line before, and have ended up eating 3 packets of crisps, a chunky kitkat and some malteasers because I 'really want them' ....

3. fantastischfish

Nearly:
    1) When you are hungry, eat.
    2) Eat what you want, not what you think you should (throw out the cardboard rubbish)
    3) Eat consciously
    4) Stop eating when you're full.

In the 90 Success Diary, he also asks each day if you've drank water and moved your body.
    I must urge you to read the book though. If you don't need to lose anymore weight, explain to your husband that it's not about losing weight; it's about learning a new mentality about food so that you don't regain the weight you lost.

By the way....congratulations on the weight loss!!!!

As for me, I'm pleased today. Breakfast was cereal, lunch was cup-a-soup and melba toast with dairylea, dinner was pizza from the pizza shop, and handful of wedges and salad.
    Was pleased that, again, I was able to just eat a couple of slice of the pizza, a few wedges and salad. Didn't feel tempted to go back for more and I'm feeling very satisfied. Usually I'd bee craving more, especially because it was a BBQ sauce on the pizza which is so moreish!
    Feels great. Leftover pizza going in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.
    Control. Control. Control.
    Don't you just love the feeling?

xxxx

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Evening folks
    Had a better day today and even managed a quick bike ride with my son!

Food;
    one slice of toast and honey
    3 ryvita and 4 laughing cow, banana, mullerlight,
    2 slices of pizza (left HUGE crusts) , salad and a small piece of treacle sponge!
    will try to run tomorrow.

Keep it up - it is much better than being on a diet..
    liz

5. Can I join you?
    I just got the P.M. book yesterday and have decided to really try to stick to the golden rules. Listened to the CD last night - it was a bit bizarre, especially when 2 voices are talking at the same time!
    I actually threw away some of my toast this morning as I knew I was full - that's a first!! [​IMG]

6. fantastischfish

Welcome CV.

I'm completely exhausted today!! Was going to have pasta for dinner but feel too shattered to be hungry. Will have a little disco nap, methinks. Maybe will eat dinner later.

7. Would anybody PM me about this before I fork out for the book? Interested but doubtful.[​IMG]

8. fantastischfish

eggnchips....what would you like to know?

I'm feeling really positive at the moment, so I can only enthuse. For me, this method has helped me change how a view food and eating. I don't feel like I'm dieting; I'm just controling myself so that I listen to my body and only eat when I'm actually hungry.
    It fits in perfectly with what my problems were/are: comfort eating, eating without thinking, and eating because the event seems to call for it: popcorn ("I'm at the cinema aren't I?!"), pizza ("it's girls' movie night!") and biscuits ("You can't have a milky coffee without one, surely!").
    If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Eva x x x

9. OK Here's a quick one How do you cope with emotional eating? I do it all the time. If I am upset in any way I stuff my face. So unlike friends who have the plus of weight loss when miserable I have weight gain !

10. fantastischfish

I've always been exactly the same! I 'treat' myself to things because I deserve them after a rough day etc.
    I suppose the PMc method teaches me to stop for a moment and 'tune in' to how I'm really feeling. I know I'm not really hungry. I also know that I never feel emotionally better if I DO eat when I'm not hungry. Lately, if I feel tempted to eat emotionally, I tend to listen to the Paul McKenna CD thing via my iPod which reminds me to visualise the end goal and distinguish between real hunger and emotional hunger.

11. lizgaskell

Well done Eva!
    I too am enjoying 'normal' food and although I am NOT on a diet I have lost 10lbs in 2 1/2 weeks!
    Last night we had takeaway chiken kebabs and a shared portion of chips, I then had wine about 5/6 squares of that really dark 85% chocolate. I am sure that it is because I am not denying myself anything, am doing some exercise and visualising myself slim that I feel really positive and not depressed because I am constantly thinking about what is for my next meal!
    Haven't been listening everday but hubby away for a few days next week so will do it more then.
    Keep it up folks [​IMG]

12. lizgaskell

BTW, I can smell the roast dinner from upstairs and am really hungry- mmm...Roast potatoes used to be my nemesis.

13. scilab

scilab New commenter

Eva, Liz - well done! You're both doing so well with this. I'm in awe of your achievements using this method. I need to get myself into gear and get going on this - just setting aside time to listen would be a start!

14. fantastischfish

What about when you get into bed at night, Scilab?

I haven't weighed myself yet, but I do feel some difference. I don't think I've lost a great deal, but I am only on day 9. I'm using the 90-day diary thingy as well, which I find helpful because I can't wait to write in it when I've had a good day.

15. lizgaskell

Not started with diary yet- I should as I am not listening everday and this might make me.

Liz

16. fantastischfish

Absolutely delighted. Weighed myself this morning and have lost 7lbs! Am very pleased.

Will definitely keep going. Keep it up everyone...this works! I've lost 7lbs, yet this past 10 days I have: eaten pizza; gone out for a family meal; eaten a cake; eaten out with a friend at the pub where I had a chicken burger and chips...
    I do eat a well balanced diet and I LOVE my vegetables, but it just goes to show: it's not WHAT you eat, it's HOW MUCH.

17. Well done everyone, especially your 7lb weight loss Eva! I've been away to friends for the weekend and still managed to keep to the rules. Actually felt quite nice to hear everyone complaining about how full they were when I felt only just full.

18. on the brink.......examined a well thumbed copy in Smiths today!

19. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I have also bought it, just waiting for it to arrive.
    I'm hoping it will help to break my unhealthy relationship with food. Although I have lost the weight I wanted to, I did it by strict calorie counting and denying myself pretty much everything 'nice' (chocolate, crisps, sweets, etc). Now I have reached what is probably my correct weight I find I don't know how to think about food in a happy way. All I think about is what I 'can' and 'can't' have. I plan the day before what I am going to eat the next day. I make bargains with myself (if I let myself have this then I can't have that later). I have no willpower - once I start I can't stop. So, for example I can have no biscuits, but if I have one I'll have 10. Then I'll be really annoyed with myself afterwards. And so the cycle continues.
    I don't want to be like this about food forever.
    Fingers crossed!

20. Unless somebody invents a pill I will eat every day of my life so I am looking for something I can live with happily!