1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul McKenna approach to weight loss

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by way2serious, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I have had his book for a while and have finally got myself motivated over the last couple of days to read it and try his techniques. So far so good but I wondered if anyone else had tried it or would be interested in this apporach???

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Sorry, I was a bit facetious on your 'personal' thread.

I used the Paul McKenna method and, whilst I'm not yet at my target weight, I found that it helped me change my unhealthy attitude towards food. I used to spend far too much time fixated on what I was eating that I ended up not eating much of anything at all....too scared to eat cheese, red meat, pasta, potatoes....
    I found it very freeing. I also lost weight and the only reason I haven't continued to lose weight is because I've stopped following the rules in times of high stress due to life evetns in the past few months.

3. Thanks Eva.
    I also feel that I have developed an unhealthy attitude about food over the last little while and am hoping that his approach will help me to get back to a more balanced position even if I don't lose massive amounts.

4. Eva_Smith

I lost about 5lbs quite quickly (in about 10 days) and then steady loss after that.
    The book clearly states that the only time you'll stop losing weight is when you are at the weight that is right for you OR if you have stopped following the rules.
    I know for a fact I don't follow the rules. Even though I eat well-balanced, healthy meals which are delicious and full of ingredients that I love, I still clear my plate, even though I might not need all of the food.
    It takes some work to stick to it: eating slowing, paying attention to your food and making sure you stop when you are full no matter how much is left (one bite or half a plateful).
    I know some people have said on other threads that they completely don't believe in the method, but I feel very positively towards it and it makes more sense to me that any other 'diet' I've tried.

5. I would be keen to use this as a support thread if others are trying the Paul approach. I started Monday and am doing ok. I find the eating slowly bit tricky as I am often in a rush! I have reduced my portion sizes but am probably eating still too much. I haven't stopped eating anything but do need to drink more water and try to eat more fruit. I have had a sneaky go on the scales and have lost a few pounds but am now going to try and not weigh myself until the two weeks are up! Good luck if you are joining me!

6. Eva_Smith

A few pounds already! Congratulations and well done.
    I'm glad I had this thread in mind this afternoon as I paid my weekly visit to the Mothership for Sunday lunch. Usually, I'd completely clear my plate and feel completely stuffed afterwards (Mother Smith is known for cooking up a tremendous Sunday lunch consisting of roast meat, yorkshire puddings, potatoes, parsnips, turnip, carrots, peas...). Today, I sensed when I was getting full and stopped. There was Apple Cumble to follow and, though I wasn't stuffed, I waited until my dinner had settled before having a small portion which I, again, made sure to eat slowly and left what I didn't need.
    I'm determined to join you again with this method. I know it work and it's far better for my mental helath that any form of dieting.
    Are you using the CD regularly? I've got it on my iPod and regularly listen to it when I get into bed. I do worry that I just fall asleep in the middle of it though!

7. Well done Eva for showing restraint with your dinner and desert! I did a roast today but sized down my portion and didn't do any pudding on purpose. Having said that I have eaten Easter chocolate today as well!

I do listen to the CD but like you it tends to be at night and I always end up falling asleep. I am hoping it goes in subconsciously! I have listened to the CD earlier today and managed to stay awake all the way through.

I am not yet doing any exercise despite the good intentions. In fact I have spent most of today sitting at the computer working. So that is another thing I need to get going on. I think you have already started on this Eva?? Any tips?

8. Eva_Smith

I've always exercised so that's not an issue for me, although I've recently been trying to learn to run better, which is something I've never felt able to do.
    If you want to start exercising, I'd recommend a couple of things:
    1) Find a friend who'd like to get fit too and agree to getting out for a walk a few times a week (I actually prefer to exercise along as I love the time to think and clear my head, but many prefer to go with a friend).
    2) Swimming is your friend: it's a low-impact workout that engages your whole body. Do a variety of strokes.
    3) Weights: it's important to build lean muscle which burns more calories than fat. This is crucial to reduing your body fat percentage. A simple way to start weight training at home is to buy yourself a sturdy resistance band which you can use to do bicep curls, shoulder press, triceps and many more types of exercises at home.

9. I used to exercise a lot pre children - swimming running classes etc. But have done nothing for the past few years and need to make time for it properly. Thanks for the tips. I particularly liked the weights idea and some swimming and walking should be manageable.

10. Eva_Smith

Good luck with the exercise Way2...

The trickiest part for me is going to be the "eat what you want, not what you think you should" command. Too many years of Weight Watchers and calorie counting has meant that I have convinced myself that I do fancy those reduced fat Melba Toast with reduced fat cream cheese and celery for lunch. And I actually do want Weight Watcher Choc Chip cookies instead of a proper choc chip cookie...

Today, I have had:
    Breakfast: Onion and Poppy Seed Bagel, with philadelphia light
    Mid-Morning: WW choc chip cookies (2 per pack)
    Lunch: Cheese and ham toastie, made with about 20g grated cheese.
    Dinner is planned to be chicken breast, ratatouille and boiled new potatoes.

I feel nicely full and satisfied after lunch and really don't think I'll feel hungry until dinner time, whereas I'd usually be peckish around 3/4pm.

11. I know what you mean Eva. I automatically buy the diet stuff and I do like alot of it any way.

I have had:
    Breakfast - half a whole meal pitta bread and pate
    Mid Morning - milky coffee with skimmed milk and a chocolate chip biscuit
    Lunch - the other half of the pitta bread and pate and a fruit Club wafer
    I have drunk lots of water as well. Will have some apple if I feel hungry before dinner.
    Dinner - shepherd's pie and veg (the OH favourite) - mine will be a small portion.

I haven't done any exercise today but have been tidying and doing housework for most of the day rather than just sitting. Will try to go for a good walk after dinner.

12. scilab

scilab New commenter

I've got this - well I've got Paul McKenna's CD on my ipod, which I've listened to a few times since I've had it. How frequently do people listen to the 'deep trance' bit?? I sat in the garden yesterday and put it on, and promptly fell asleep and got sunburnt - oops! Not the intention the CD is aiming for!
    And while I want to believe I just need to rewire my brain,as it were, I don't feel as if the subliminal messages are going to have any effect. I find it really hard to switch off from all external noise/goings on while listening, and even finding the time to have half hour to listen uninterrupted is rare, so I'm a sceptic to say the least! But having been a serial dieter for years, I still need to lose a couple of stone, and can't do it. I know what I've got to do, but I just like food too much!
    I'm willing to give this a shot, but would like to hear how often everyone uses the hypnotic part, or what they use.
    Thanks!

13. Wheni listen to the CD in the daytime I fall asleep as well. If nothing else it feels relaxing! Today I was cooking a roast and started to feel really hungry so I followed the rules and had an apple and a piece of brie which I did eat very slowly. The only problem was that by the time I came to eat the roast I wasn't that hungry and left quite alot of it. Obviously this is how you lose the weight but it was really frustrating.

14. Scilab, you asked how often everyone uses the hypnotic CD, well when I used it daily I kept to the rules and lost weight. When I only used it occasionally the old eating habits kicked in. I'm not sure whether it hypnotises you or merely acts as a reminder but I seemed to benefit from using it. The psychology of this diet really works for me, I know that I can have that piece of chocolate but only later when I am hungry, funnily enough I don't seem to want it later on!

15. Eva_Smith

Yes, I found that, once I was allowed chocolate, I didn't actually really want it because I was only hungry at meal times (largely because meal times became WHEN I WAS HUNGRY not just at 6pm as they'd previously been. If I'm hungry when I get home at 4.30pm, I make dinner.
    Of course, this is all much easier when you've only got yourself to sort out, but if we want to lose wait I guess you have to be prepared to make changes and if this means eating the with kids earlier on, then reheating food when one's partner comes home...so be it.
    (not that this applies to me. I eat when I want and my boyfriend gets himself something when he gets home).

16. Eva_Smith

Welcome Becky! I'm so glad to find some liked minded people on TES, I was feeling all lonely doing PM all by myself.

I've done quite well today. I'm pleased. Although I did clear my plate at each meal today, I didn't snack between meals and never felt totally stuffed or uncomfortable, so I think I must have had just the right amount of food. Today I had:
    Breakfast: Onion and Poppy seed bagel with philadelphia light
    Lunch: (not much choice in school canteen today as forgot to bring own lunch) Dodgy looking creation entitled 'Chicken Creole' - looked nothing like what I think of as chicken creole but was edible. This was with a small portion of rice and some vegetables.
    Dinner: Homemade meatballs and pasta with a spicy tomato sauce (made with onion, chilli, garlic, tomatoes and peppers)

What's the most interesting for me is that I haven't eaten between meals and I haven't craved a sugar fix or a snack at any point.

17. Well done Eve on your good day! Welcome Becky - I hope your book arrives soon. I am a new convert and am waiting for my first official weigh in on Monday. I have had a reasonable day but unlike others I haven't lost the desire for chocolate but am certainly eating it in greater moderation! Am going to listen to the CD now so I hope you all have a good day tomorrow!!

18. Eva_Smith

How often are you weighing yourself Way2?

19. Eva_Smith

Welcome Liz. I'm so pleased that other people are interested in the Paul McKenna method...I was feeling rather upset, I must say, by the categorical rejection of the principal on other threads and was beginning to get down-heartened, but now I feel boosted again. Thanks for your support guys.
    Sounds like you had a good day Liz. I went out for tea tonight at Pizza Hut. Normally I'd greedily much my way through the whole pizza (or take it home but secretly eat at home too!). But tonight I ate half of the pizza, have brought the rest home and have put it in the fridge.
    Progress.

20. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Well done Eva!

I think that for the last 15 years I have wasted time and money on diet clubs etc. In fact, my new approach was influenced by the thought of going back to Slimming World for the FOURTH time fatter than ever! I was 12stone when I first joined them, got down to 11 stone and then spent the last 10 yrs or more trying to get back to even that strting weight- crackers. Hope this breaks the cycle.
    I think SW taught me that I could eat as much (as long as it fulfilled the criteria of green'red day) but this (and greed) has given me a huge appetite and I must stop eating like a builder!
    Liz