1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paul Gambaccini -- it's a strange world.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

We can hear all about the accusations against Gambaccini causing him several years of anguish, but are not allowed to know the amount that the CPS has paid out to him in compensation. It's a strange world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46080092

Jamvic, nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Perhaps he deserves some privacy after the pain of false accusations.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Both points are fair.

A/ transparency in the public sector (the taxpayer will end up footing this bill)
    B/ the individual's right to privacy

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Aw that's not playing the internet game @grumpydogwoman

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What riles me is that people such as Alison Saunders, responsible for this new policy of guilty until proved innocent, don't get to pay for their mistakes. It is we taxpayers that pay for her errors. It is like the civil servants at the Home Office running their own unauthorised policies. Public servants who serve their own prejudices instead of serving the public whio pay their salaries.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

This is a fair point, but I think Paul Gambaccini would see the irony in the situation, himself.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

TBH, I don’t see why a level of financial compensation is a matter of privacy; in reality it is a matter of politics. If this is a hoofing amount, it returns focus to the errors and bandwagon decisions of the CPS -and the Home Office, and will be subject to parliamentary questions etc.

Best just say a quick sorry, pay hush-hush and back to business as normal!

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm sorry - the man's life and career were almost ruined by false allegations.

Whatever he got - he deserves it.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What if it wasn't a celebrity? Would there be the same level of compensation, if any?

Jamvic and border_walker like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The reality is this country seems to be moving to guilt by insinuation.You are also trialled by the media and as a result...even if cleared, you stay taineted,particularly of you have been added to a sex offenders list.
    Unless arrested no names should be issued and no media allowed to trial you till a court have proved you guilty. Unfortunately, once you throw the mud you have no control where it sticks and the mess it might make.

bombaysapphire and peter12171 like this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What if he were Cliff Richard? A five-figure sum would surely not be enough? Sir Cliff got £400,000 from West Yorkshire Police. Our money, of course. :(

(I'd better be careful, though, because I think the CPS said of Cliff that there was "not enough evidence to prosecute" when it could well have been, as in the case of Gambaccini, there was no evidence at all - so Sir Cliff might yet sue the CPS himself).

EDIT: I think the CPS also lied about Gambaccini's accusers, saying they were "under age" when they were not.

artboyusa likes this.
  12. Duke of York

The law sets out guidelines for the penalties that have to be imposed on those found guilty, whatever their societal status. A celebrity found guilty of rape will serve the same term in prison as anyone else. I think compensation for damages should be applied on exactly the same basis.

oldsomeman and border_walker like this.
  13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

And we get to keep paying for her. £1.5 mil of our money in her pension pot, as of 2015.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...ay-package-for-CPS-chief-Alison-Saunders.html

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Great. Now do Brett Kavanaugh.

15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If one is not a celebrity, one does not rely on public support for one's livelihood thus a factory worker wrongly accused would most likely not have his/her income destroyed by this whereas Mr Gambaccini would. For this reason I think it is reasonable to pay public figures more in compensation when wrongly accused than none public figures.

16. Duke of York

Why do you suggest that? A factory worker's career and reputation can be just as easily destroyed by malicious accusations. There will always be rumours going round the workplace and community, with the tendency to believe there's no smoke without fire.

InkyP and border_walker like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You can only claim compensation commensurate with losses.

So other workers might very well get large payments. Partly depends whether it's settled in or out of court.

18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

What is so puzzling in many of these cases is that at the time of the occurrence nothing is said, but years later - and especially if and when the person is a well-paid/rich celebrity, it is reported. I wonder why? If you're not a celebrity or not rich, they'll have no interest in your claim I guess.

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

The factory worker could move to another area and no one would be any the wiser, this is not possible if one is a public figure.

20. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter