1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Patterns on the Page Year 2 Poetry Inspiration

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceb831, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Do you have any fab ideas for the Patterns on the Page Poetry unit of work from the renewed framework? I'm new to year 2, starting this unit of work next week, and have a lesson observation on Wednesday. Could do with a bit of help please!

Catherine

2. Do you have any fab ideas for the Patterns on the Page Poetry unit of work from the renewed framework? I'm new to year 2, starting this unit of work next week, and have a lesson observation on Wednesday. Could do with a bit of help please!

Catherine

3. We did Lewis Caroll's jaberwocky! We dressed up as the jabberwocky using fancy dress and junk. Then in PE (dance) we devised a jaberwocky dance. In music we made and recorded the music to the poem. The children absolutely adored it and their own nonsense poetry at the end of it was brilliant! x

4. That sounds like great fun! Isn't patterns on the page unit of work meant to have an outcome of a shape poem or such like though??

5. Nope its about patterns of language. x

6. Oh! Will I ever get the hang of this!!!! Thanks.

x

7. Or perhaps both... xxx

8. Aargh!

Was thinking of doing something along the lines of animals such as snail, bee, lion, spider etc, getting children to think about words to describe their movements appearance etc, then writing their poems in the shape of the animal so swirly for the snail, across the stripes for the bee etc. Does that sound like what I should be aiming for!!!

9. Sounds great to me- remember to do loads of role play and drama in first week. Even capture insects and look at them thorugh magnifying glasses too. x

10. Yay! I can do it! Thanks for the reassurance!

xxx

11. Thanks! I literally found that 2 minutes earlier somewhere else! Could do with tweaking but is certainly something that I could use!

xx

12. Hiya, I am a trainee and have to do patterns on page, my teacher/mentor has gone away and I dont know what I'm meant to teach for this unit!?
    What did you end up teaching to your year 2's?

Thank

Amy

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Hello - I'm both a retired teacher and a children's poet, and I have a large website where I help teachers and relate my work to what you have to teach. Patterns on a page: This can be perhaps a shaped poem, but I rather think that it has to do with rhyming schemes. I have written a great deal about this on my website and nearly all of my poems have rhyming schemes, and patterns within their rhythm. I have thousands of teachers who use my website for help. You need to teach your children about how rhythm is made, as you would with music. Without this structure you cannot make a patterned rhythm. The two main structures for English poetry, especially for your age group is: Four sets of iambic feet per line, ie ti TUM ti TUM ti TUM ti TUM, and then the second line rhymes with the first line. The second very popular structure is 7 sets of iambic feet over two lines. This is usually split into four on the first and 3 on the second, and then it is the second line and the fourth line which rhymes. I am just about to write about this very thing on my website and will put it on my web index under "Patterns on a Page" - so do come and I will suggest poems that will link well to it for exactly your age group. I'm a fairly new writer (four and a half years) but have just had 344 of my poems chosen by teachers to go into five published books for the school. I hope I can help you. Google; JOSIE'S POEMS and you will find a lot of my own original work which I hope especially helps teachers and that children love - well I do know it does.

14. Finding this very helpful thankyou x