1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pattern Literacy ideas please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by stranger., Jan 3, 2017.

1. stranger.

stranger. New commenter

Hi everyone,

This half term our Reception topic is Pattern. I'm not thrilled by this anyway, but I'm really struggling to think of ideas as to how to incorporate this into Literacy work. My class are quite able and many of them are writing sentences, so I need something engaging with lots of writing possibilities

They do the same Topic in Nursery with lots of work around Elmer, so I want to avoid this. I was thinking of maybe some poetry but nothing seems to quite fit.

Any ideas, anybody? All suggestions gratefully received!

amaldoha likes this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. I think depends on whether you want to look at patterns within story structures eg story form, repetitive text, alliteration. Look up pie corbett and pattern. Or if you want to do stories about patterns ie a more mathematical focus. My mum and dad make me laugh is good intro to this idea.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think you could get a lot of mileage out of a story such as "This Is The House That Jack Built". I'm sure there are lots of examples created along the same lines (x, x+y, x+y+z, etc).

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Patterns? Poetry. I've only taken up writing for children well into my retirement from teaching and I only did this by request from the children in my local primary school who were fed up with a sentence spiralling down the page in the name of poetry. Inside good poetry are many many patterns. There are patterns within the rhythm of the poem. It may be the simple iambic pattern, di DUM di DUM di DUM etc or of the anapaest: di di DUM di di DUM and then there are patterns in the rhyming. Heptameter, with its seven beats in each section is often split into two lines with the second and fourth rhyming line indented (abab rhyming). Tetrameter with its four steady beats per line has aabb rhyming. Sometimes there are patterns again when there is a little refrain between the lines. There are patterns within every word we speak, ie light sounds and heavier ones, and it is the accentuations within the words that form the basis of the rhythm. Get children to listen to a word and underline the little accentuation, eg imPORtant. Then look at the line of poetry and underline the accentuations that make the heavy beats in the line. Even clapping to the beats in the poems helps them. This is so good for them because it helps the development of phonological awareness, ie the ability to break down words into sounds, so necessary for reading and writing. If you Google JOSIE'S POEMS you'll find hundreds of my poems for every age group. You can't get better patterns than these. You'll find I've explained this with examples in many of my poems on TES too.

5. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Hairy maclairy from donaldson' s dairy has a pattern - you add on the new animal and the rest are repeated. So has my cat likes to hide in boxes and green eggs and ham.

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Pattern literacy means stories and poems that have a repeating pattern in the words as you go through them. I'm just putting one of my poems on TES and the pattern is about "Who'll Help Me?" said Mum. It is a modern story following a similar story to The Little Red Hen which I enjoyed at school. Mum asks repeatedly, and in different ways, who will help her with preparing the dinner. Everyone is busy but she soon sees that they are not busy when it comes to eating the meal. I end the poem:

A special “help fairy” comes to your home,
    And I think he’s a bit of a spy.
    Put up your hands now, if you help at home –
    Oh come on, don’t tell me a lie!

This is a good topic for younger children because it is so important that they do learn to help both at home and at school. Ask them what jobs they do and suggest what jobs could be done both at school and at home.

If you have a special area of work to cover with stories or poems (story-poems), please do let me know as I'm only too happy to put on here material which will help you, and if you go to my website you'll find lots and lots of poems for younger children. I was a teacher all my life and am glad to help teachers. Let the children know too that the poems are there on my website as I've put voice recordings with them which children love to listen to and poetry is so important to them. Thank you so much.