1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pattaya

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nemo., Jan 22, 2012.

1. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Yes I agree sort of but Thailand is full of brothels (it's a local pastime) and hard to avoid seeing in big cities. With a family avoiding "walking street" and night time strolls on the beach it isn't so bad. But the beach is dangerous, dirty and I wouldn't take children anywherenear it! Pattaya btw has lots of "suicides", Russian gangsters (and a high murder rate) but again a family man wouldavoid all that (I hope!)
    What I would avoid is taking older teenage boys (15+) anywhere near Thailand.........

2. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

In my 3 years here I have never seen any trouble; beach road is perfectly
    safe, much safer than England and most cities in Europe. Loads of single women
    and families walk down there at night, my wife and other girls at the school walk down there on her own with no problem at all.

I have never once seen a Russian Gangster (there is lots of Russian
    rude tourists though), maybe I go to the wrong places.

You can more or less avoid the seedy parts of Pattaya, and visit some
    of the amazing local beaches and restaurants that it has to offer.

Very good for families, if you have a young family you will probably
    live on campus anyway, which I would recommend if you have young children and
    your first time working abroad.

I have a love hate relationship with Pattaya, really needs to be cleaned up, as it could be great tourist place.

If you want any more info send me a PM.

3. Hi,
    I came out to teach in a Pattaya school last year with 2 children.
    Not sure what school you're going for but if you'd like any advice pm me.
    Good luck in your interview
    [​IMG]

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Is there still only the three main ones, or have others sprouted over the years?
    None are fantastic, but they're all worth the venture for single folk. I wouldn't worry about families in regards to living in Thailand, but not sure the schools in and around Pattaya didn't tend to give much financial support in such instances in years gone by; perhaps it has changed.

5. carolynrhiannon

carolynrhiannon New commenter

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My informants tell me that the school is quite a long way from the part frequented by all of the ladies of the night. As a happily married hippopotamus, I would not know about these things.

7. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Yes, the school is well away from town. If you are open minded, Pattaya is a fun place to be and I would not worry about having children - many staff do and in fact families were particularly welcomed by the owner. Good luck and if successful, enjoy!

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Same here. Nonetheless, there is a lovely little bar on the corner of Soi.....

9. aridion

aridion New commenter

Never knew Hippo and Mistermaker were married (together)!!

10. Hi,

I've been offered a job at regents school pattaya. Can you tell me anything about this school or the area and what it's like living out there?

Many thanks