1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paternity pay as a dad?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kenbriooo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

Morning,

My wife is due our first child at the end of January, I was wondering if anyone knew what the paternity pay deal for dads is? Is it really only £128 a week instead of your usuall wage? If so I don't know if we can afford to lose about £1000. Frustrating thing is my school has all the staff insured and if I was off sick they would get paid and do would I (albeit they would not be able to claim for the first 3 days). However they can claim of the insurance for me being of on paternity and get paid from day one of me being off.

Seems kinda unfair that school gets paid either way but I won't, or is this just another example of dads having few rights? Be great to hear back

2. same at my school - and they insist the men set cover work. one teacher actually left after becoming a dad as he was so disgusted with the way he'd been treated.

3. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

My OH is not a teacher, and got two days of paid paternity. For the remaining time (just under a fortnight) he took annual leave.

4. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

As far as I am aware I do not get paid any teaching pay for the 2 weeks that I am entitled to take off, but I am only allowed £128. So for 2 weeks off on paternity I would only get £256 instead of my usual half months wage.

I so hope I am mistaken on this as I am desperate to spend some time off with my child but seriously cannot afford to lose approx £1000 of pay

5. In my LA fathers working in schools can take 1 or 2 weeks leave but if they chose to take 2 they have to be consecutive. 1 week is on full pay and the 2nd week, if taken, is on statutory paternity pay only.

6. Hubby works outside education but he gets two weeks on full-pay. The only proviso is they have to be either full-weeks or not at all (I think the HR computer system will implode if asked to do anything non-conventional). He's really lucky in that respect and his boss is also happy to let him tack annual leave onto that with a fair degree of flexibility in case of due dates going skew-whiff (can you tell we ain't expecting mini-Flibble to show up on schedule?!)