1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paternity leave problem

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by laj572, Mar 2, 2018.

1. laj572

laj572 New commenter

Hi.

My wife is due to give birth at the end of the Easter holidays... therefore I am hoping to take two weeks paid paternity leave straight after the Easter break.

Here's the problem... I have recently been successful in gaining a position at a new school... which commences after the Easter holidays!

As a result, my current school state that they do not need to pay my statutory paternity leave as I will no longer be working for them, and my future employers are denying my statutory paternity paid leave as I will not have been working for them for 26 weeks before I take the leave.

I understand that both schools are correct in what they are stating, but surely their must be something in place for those who are in a difficult situation like me?!?! I'm guessing others will have had the same problem as me (either maternal or paternal) in the past.

Any help and advise would be very much appreciated... I've tried contacting hmrc and cab, but neither could help me.

2. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Women face this issue quite a lot when planning their families - because they generally have more leave after the birth of a child (though men can take more leave under family leave plans). You understand the rules. The schools are sticking to their rights. Unfortunately, you have no recourse.

A woman in the same position, i.e. changing jobs and starting maternity leave at the beginning of the new job would not expect to be paid anything more but statutory minimums, if they applied.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

My husband (not a teacher) was denied paternity leave as he had been at his new job less than 26 weeks. He was able to take it as unpaid leave though - this may be your best option, if your new school are amenable.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

This was one of those things that you needed to consider when deciding whether to move job. (Women almost always do this, in regard to maternity; obviously two weeks is less likely to swing the decision, so you might still have decided to move even if you had realised about the paternity leave.)

Ask about unpaid leave; they might consider it, although if you are secondary/year 6, it's not a good time of year.

Otherwise, just hope for a slightly early arrival, and look forward to the May Bank Holiday. Fill the freezer so you don't have to cook for a bit once the baby's here.

5. vickysimpson1989

vickysimpson1989 New commenter

A friend of mine affered to take it unpaid and they accepted. Might be worth it for the special time at home...

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'm guessing that you are moving to an academy, as if they were authority schools then you'd be able to.

Hopefully you have a fairly sympathetic headteacher who can understand that you may need to leave your class to take your wife to hospital/want to be there for the birth.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Leave for the birth should be separate, as care for dependant, I think. It definitely isn't part of paternity leave, as that doesn't have to be taken immediately after the birth (some fathers delay it until the in-laws go home, or until half-term is over).

8. Zid

Zid New commenter

I am a male teacher and moving to working Dubai in September. Our baby is due in October. Am I entitled to any paternity leave?

9. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

I think statutory.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It will depend on your contract I would think as I'm guessing you're not being employed on a uk contract