1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paternity leave for part-time, peripatetic teacher

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by RadoJo, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Evening all, and thanks in advance for your thoughts on this one: my husband is a part-time peripatetic music teacher, working two days a week in a school who employ him directly. I am due to give birth in March 2012, and when he spoke to the school's bursar about taking time off he was told that he could have whatever time he wanted, but that he wasn't entitled to any paid leave. Normally he doesn't get paid during holidays/sick pay etc, which isn't a problem, and if it's just a question of hoping that the baby arrives a little late so we can take advantage of the Easter hols, that would be doable if we know in advance. However, as he doesn't have any kind of contract I just wanted to check that what they are telling him is correct as every other 'official' source seems to give very general info and nothing which necessarily relates to those working in schools. If anyone can shed some light, or just point me in the right direction for some more detailed info I would be very grateful.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Try here: it looks like the school have to fill in a form if he doesn't qualify for statutory paternity pay, to say why.

3. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Is your husband employed by the school, or is he self-employed? If he invoices the school or parents, then he's self-employed and so not entitled to paternity leave (or rather, as his own employer, he's responsible for his own paternity leave costs!)