1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paternity and Holiday question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Matt29x, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Matt29x

Matt29x New commenter

Hello

Me and my wife are expecting our first baby on the 23rd December.

Ideally if he is born on time then I would be able to take my paternity leave after the Christmas holidays.

However, should he come a few days early. Let's say the 16th December and I take my paternity leave would I then loose the remainder of my paternity leave within the holiday.

I know I have to take my paternity in a block and can't split it but it seems a tad unfair if I take it just a few days before I break up. I asked my head about this and he seemed unsure of this as he has never had to deal with it before.

I hope that makes sence

2. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I'm not sure as i work in FE so have some flexibility with holidays but i would assume that you couldn't carry it over until after the holiday if you had started it before. This question would be best asked to HR.

Paternity leave does not have to start as soon as the baby is born. You could look at whether the birth could be absence and then returning to work for a couple of days before the holiday and adding your paternity leave onto the end of that. It all depends on when the baby decides to make his/her appearance. I wouldn't miss the birth for anything but if you can have the birth off and then return to work for a few days to then get 4 weeks off it is something that is worth considering.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Congratulations! There is always the chance she'll go overdue, especially as it's your first.

We had a similar situation and my partner went back for 2 days after the birth and then started his paternity leave. It was 2 days of hell for me but I survived them and it made the end of his leave less scary! Would you be prepared to offer to take any time before Christmas as unpaid leave? Heads discretion may be an option?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You are only entitled to take it as a single block, but I don't think there's anything to stop your head allowing you to split it across the holiday if they are feeling generous. (My husband's company let him take his in bits - particularly useful when he got a slight cold and needed to stay away from the prem baby unit!)

If they're not willing to do that, book the two weeks after Christmas, and take the birth itself off as dependents leave. I had a colleague who didn't take the paternity leave immediately anyway, as his in-laws were visiting initially - he booked his for when they'd have gone home.