1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pate

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mistyid, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Can anyone recommend a delicious pate for my romantic meal for my o/h's birthday?

I have found a few online but thought I would ask here if anyone has any tried and tested favourites.

Thanks

2. Can anyone recommend a delicious pate for my romantic meal for my o/h's birthday?

I have found a few online but thought I would ask here if anyone has any tried and tested favourites.

Thanks

3. I have recipe for a pate I got from the restaurant that used to make it. It's delicious but coarse - I don't like smooth pates - so may not come up to your romantic expectations. I'll happily dig it out if you (or anyone else) is interested. I love pate served with cornichons, but I guess pickled gherkin isn't all that romantic either!!

4. Yes please Kinsa, we have been married nearly 25 years I think we will be all right with a coarse pate!

Thank you for your kindness.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

This is the recipe for one I ALWAYS have in the fridge - I usually do it at the same time as roast chicken...
    Place 400g chicken livers, 2 duck legs, 2 peeled and sliced shallots, 6-8 cloves of garlic smashed, sage, thyme and rosemary, 250g piece of pork belly (its easier if the skin is removed and then just added in for flavour) and cover with foil. Place in the oven at GM6 for 1hr 20mins and then turn down to GM3 for another hour. Take the tray out of the oven and take the foil off - drain off the fat and remove the herbs. When the meat is cool enough to handle, shred the duck legs and pork, discarding any big pieces of fat, bones and the belly skin. Whizz the livers and garlic up in the food processor with the juices from the bottom of the dish until smooth and then add a few tbsps of the fat and a few tbsps of sherry to the mix. Add this to the shredded meat mixture, stir well and season to taste. Spoon into a sterilised jar pouring on a layer of fat to seal the pate.

6. smooth pate
    1 packet of chicken livers
    1/2 an onion
    1/2 packet of butter
    salt, pepper, dried herbe, splash of brandy

chop the onion and fry in the butter, add the chicken livers and other ingredients cook until the livers are cooked.
    put in a blender until smooth, pour into a dish and chill

Terine type pate
    1 packet of chicken livers
    1 packet of streaky bacon
    a couple or chicken goujons or 1/2 a breast
    3 different kinds of sausage - at leat one fairly spicy such as cumberland
    Optional - black pepper corns, herbs, spices,

use the bacon to line a loaf tin
    skin the sausage and layer different sausage with chicken livers and chicken until the tin is full - the more variation the better

top off with bacon so it is totalle encased

bake in the over for 30 mins - quite a lot of grease will come out

once cooked, pour off excess fat and weight down with a plate and weights to get the grease out
    chill

7. Mistyid, I will PM you the recipe as I am unable to do paragraphs - despite instructions from others! Perhaps you would be kind enough to post the recipe on here if anyone else wants it. It isn't very long. You may want to scale down the quantities!

8. Thanks Kinsa, and everyone else they all sound delicious. Maybe I will have a pate tasting meal!

NIGHTINGALE'S PATE (from Kinsa)

1lb minced beef
    4oz chicken livers (minced)
    4oz pigs liver (minced)
    Clove garlic (crushed)
    Dash of brandy and red wine
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix ingredients well and put in loaf tin
    Cover meat tin in foil
    Cook in bain marie for 2 hrs Gas 4
    When cooked, place weights on loaf and leave to cool.

That's it. Fine dining it aint, but I always used to order it!

9. That sounds nice, am going to try it asap!

10. This sounds lovely as well!

11. Thanks for all the delicious recipes, I
    made Kinsa's one and everyone loved it.

I lined the tin with bacon and served it with a home-made
    caramelised onion jam. I am going to try the other recipes over the
    next few weeks.