1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Patatas Bravas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 1, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The very best ones I've made were from a recipe in the first Moro book.
    I'll post the recipe up later.
    There seem to be two ways of having patatas bravas - one in which the potatoes are quickly cooked in the sauce, once fried and cooked, and the other in which the potatoes are boiled, fried or roasted and then served with the sauce over the top. I prefer the latter, myself, and prefer the spuds crisply fried.
    I looooooove patatas bravas.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I prefer the latter too. Patatas bravas - something I've not had in a while!

4. We're off to Andalucia on Monday - where there is nothing Bravas about the patatas, sadly. They look good, are well cooked but the sauce is just.... tomatoey! So I am with the writer.
    We did have a bravas but we were in Malaga and were asked if we wanted it Ingles or not! We did! Lovely!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ahem...

For the fried potatoes:
    1.5kg waxy potatoes, peeled, cubed and lightly salted
    1 litre sunflower oil
    sea salt
    smoked Spanish paprika

Bravas Sauce:
    2 tins plum tomatoes
    6 tbsps olive oil
    4 cloves garlic
    2 dried chillies
    2 bay leaves
    pinch each of dried oregano and thyme
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 green pepper, finely chopped
    100ml dry white wine
    1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
    1 teaspoon hot Paprika
    salt and pepper.

Sauce: In a large pan, soften the garlic in half the olive oil. Add chilli and stir. Add the tomatoes and hebs and break with a spoon, bring to boil and simmer 20mins until quite dry. In another pan, soften onions and gree pepper until soft and sweet. Add white wine and boil hard until quite dry. Now add tomato and garlic mixture. Add sugar, paprika and season. Cook for 5 more minutes.
    Cook potatoes by blanching in medium hot oil until just cooked, but not coloured. Then crisp up in hot oil. Drain on kitchen paper, place in a bowl, salt, then pour on sauce and sprinkle with extra smoked paprika.

Apologies for the specific ingredient amounts - feel free to adjust to taste - but these really are incredible. Ace with lots of cold lager.
    If deep frying potatoes seems like too much bother (it does for me, generally) then either shallow fry or make roast spuds.

6. The salty ones are called patatas arrugadas - literally wrinkly potatoes. They're a canarian dish. Delicious. X

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yep, they're great. Easy to do at home. Just use small new potatoes (a thicker skinned variety is best), and boil them whole in well-salted water, allowing them to just boil dry (but not burn). Best of all served with red or green mojo.