1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pat leave, new job

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by phill_aspden, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Think i can guess the answer to this, but i'm due to start a new job in Sept pretty much exactly the same day my wife is due.... does anyone know if i have a leg to stand on RE: Pat leave?

Cheers

2. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

I think you would be best checking with your new school. Normally you have to have been employed by the employer for at least 26 weeks up to the 15th week before the baby is due. It may make a difference if you are moving within the same LA.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Just to add on...
    Changing from a LA state school to another LA state school means you're still with the same employer. the same if you change schools within an academy chain. The same rules as above apply to shared parental leave as well.

You should also check your new schools policies in case they offer anything better, and it never hurts to ask the head of the new school about the possibility. There are still lots of lovely heads around.

Whatever the outcome, you are allowed to take emergency unpaid leave to be at the birth of the child.

Hope everything goes well for you both!

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're not entitled to anything, ask very nicely, probably expecting it to be unpaid. Their favourite supply teacher might be happy to be on call for the birth if they know they're going to get a week or two's work out of it.

5. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

They might give you a few days. My hubby isn’t entitled to paternity because of a new job but they have said he can have a few days paid when she arrives. That’s not taken out of holidays either.xx