1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pastoral care

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by izzylou2003, Nov 28, 2015.

1. izzylou2003

izzylou2003 New commenter

Hi,
    I currently work as a registered children's nurse but would love to become a pastoral care worker in a school. Can you give me some guidance as to how best to get into this area. What experience and qualifications are needed and is there anything I can be doing in the interim to boost my chances of being successful when a position is advertised. There is very little information I can find on this area so any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Apply for a job as a school nurse?

3. izzylou2003

izzylou2003 New commenter

Unfortunately, funding for school nurses is being cut and so they are being diminished. Also the role of a school nurse is very different from several years ago as they are rarely based in one school but have numerous schools to deal with which means they do not get to know the children in one school well enough.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Try an indie school.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Independent schools do indeed often have a ft nurse. But obviously there are not that many of them, they are rather spread out, and there will not often be vacancies.

But apart from that, I am not sure what you mean by a job in pastoral care in a school. Could you perhaps be a little more explicit here?

Best wishes

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

There's a vacancy for a school nurse at my school.

midnight_angel likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you are then!

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I assume that what you are talking about is something like a 1) Behaviour manager 2) Non-teaching HoY role (though I don't think you would have the experience for this 3) Attendance manager or something similar.

Your problem is that you have no school based experience, or really a great deal of experience in the areas what dominate pastoral care. School nurse you are a perfect fit for. Could you handle the range of issues you would get as a pastoral leader? Could you prove it?

Also bear in mind that funding issues tend to hit this sort of job first.