1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pastoral care in private schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by worried_parent, Nov 27, 2019.

  1. worried_parent

    worried_parent New commenter

    Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have recently started working in a small Prep School - I have no previous teaching experience, apart from home educating my children when they were younger if that counts (& various voluntary roles throughout university)! As a non-qualified teacher embarking on a new career journey, the main concerns I have with my new position are pastoral care. There seem to be very few pastoral care guidelines in place - a lot of the existing safeguarding procedures involve passing the information onto the child's tutor and leaving it there. This seems a little bizarre to me - is this a general independent sector philosophy? Does anyone have any tips on how I can support my students in this setting?
  2. Skeoch

    Skeoch Lead commenter

    Your school should be providing specific safeguarding training. That serves to protect you and the child, and should explain the procedures and the reasons for them.
    There is a legal requirement for a child protection policy. You need to access it and read it, then act on it.
    If the concerns you have are pastoral rather than safeguarding, then the tutor is usually best placed to deal with the issue as they'll know the child and the whole picture rather well. Sometimes other colleagues diving in without knowing the full situation can do more (well-intentioned) harm than good.
    needabreak likes this.
  3. ViolaClef

    ViolaClef Lead commenter

    You should have received Safeguarding training. Any safeguarding concerns should be passed to the DSL (Designated Safeguarding Lead). Any pastoral concerns should be passed to or discussed with the child’s form teacher. Depending on the issue, they will be able to advise you or deal with the matter appropriately.

Share This Page