1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pasta is apparently the world's favourite food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jun 15, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13760559
    "Global sales figures reflect the world's love affair with pasta - they have risen from US$13bn (£8bn) in 2003 to US$16bn (£10bn) in 2010. The analysts at Datamonitor predict it will hit US$19bn (£12bn) by 2015, despite rising wheat costs.
    Just in the UK, retail sales of dry and fresh pasta amounted to £53m in 1987. In 2009, the figure was £282m - include pasta-based ready meals and the value rises to £800m, says consumer research experts Mintel"
    We eat it, here in modelmaker mansion, but only around once a fortnight, if that. Tell me what's so attractive about it.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'd have imagined that rice, or maize is the world's favourite food...
    We tend to have it once a week or even once a fortnight, on a day I can't be bothered cooking something more elaborate. [​IMG]

3. it's my favourite food. I think I could eat pasta in some shape or form every day of the week (I don't). It's not just that it's a cheap meal but it has so many varieties that you just couldn't get bored with it.
    Partner it with good bread, salad and wine and there is nothing better. It is not a default meal for me. I really should have been Italian.........

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

3 or 4 times a week for us + rice 3 or 4 times
    so versatile - carries so many varied sauces
    but then my family was "different": we ate pasta back in the 1960s!!

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Give me pasta over potatoes anyday. We have it at least 3 times a week at least. It would be more but I have to give in to Mr BS's demands for mash sometimes.
    It is quick, convenient, goes with lots of things and the different types have a very different texture. We have wholemeal for everyday but tagliatelle or macaroni seem like a total change. Not to mentioned stuffed fresh pasta - a favourite quick meal in this house.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same here....and I don't mean Heinz spaghetti! Mind you, macaroni and spaghetti were all that was available then, and the spaghetti was the real Italian stuff a yard long and wrapped in blue paper. None of this own brand quick cook slime that poses as spaghetti these days. I still hunt out the long stuff when I can find it!

7. BelleDuJour

Oh yes....perfect!
    Pasta is comforting in the winter, and a brilliant al fresco meal in the summer. As it's currently chucking it down outside (good for the grass I keep telling myself) I'm going down the comfort route tonight with the last of Monday's epic spag bol for tea!

8. the spaghetti was the real Italian stuff a yard long and wrapped in blue paper.
    Still is in the cosmos household - having it for supper tonight with a tomato, caper and anchovy sauce.

9. BelleDuJour

can I come please? Capers and anchovies are two of my all time faves! I now really crave a thin, crispy, proper Italian pizza with anchovies, capers and black olives........oh my!

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

That's what I use too!
    I love pasta in all its various guises - but I also love squid ink spaghetti and I adore pasta where a spinach or tomato puree is added at the dough stage so it takes on a whole new flavour.

11. We ate pasta when I was young:
    Tins of Spaghetti or Macaroni Cheese - both were Heinz. The Spaghetti was eaten on hot buttered Toast, the Macaroni was just warmed through and always had an rather peculiar after-taste.
    Mum made Spaghetti Bolognese. If we were lucky it would be in long slurpy strings. But sometimes she would insist on having the dry Spaghetti snapped into three pieces so it was easier (and less fun!) to eat. The one bonus was that if we broke the Spaghetti for her, we got to eat a couple of the dry strands of Spaghetti as a treat!
    And then there was Macaroni Pudding. The school one was rather good (I love milky puddings...Rice, Macaroni, Semolina, Tapioca....mmmmmmmmm) but Mum's was to die for!
    Until the ukase on Cheese,I used to love Macaroni and Cheese with Spinnach and Pine Nuts.
    Currently I like my Pasta with Seafood and a Tomato-Chilli sauce; or a simple Tomato and Anchovy sauce; or maybe just a little Pesto stirred through; or a proper carbonara (no cheese!).

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have to admit that I prefer more tomato-based sauces or dressings - not a big fan of creamy sauces. The exception is macaroni cheese. I love macaroni cheese (sorry Beth!).

13. I had never eaten pasta until I went to university! (apart from the Heinz variety from the tin). My family didn't eat "foreign" (apart from Vesta - oh how sophisticated).
    Since then, it is the one thing I cook with a LOT. Much more so than potatoes or rice.
    It is so versatile.
    Easily on the menu a few times a week in one form or another.
    Same here - although I do love macaroni cheese. I also adore pesto (both red and green).

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I have to say that I've never seen the attraction of al dente pasta. I'm fully aware that it's more authentic to cook it like this, but I like my pasta soft! Not overcooked and mushy - I like it to have a little bite, but I do like it quite floppy. The only concession I make to al dente pasta as maybe to cook it to this stage in the water, and then when heating it through with the sauce in ther pan, allow it to soak up some of the sauce or juices, thus cooking it fully. If I'm dressing it more simply, I always cook it completely before dressing.
    Which reminds me of another point - If I'm having a sauce, I always toss the pasta through the sauce, so it's fully dressed and coated, UNLESS I'm doing spaghetti bolognese, which given its British provenance, I always serve in the British style, with the pasta lightly lubricated in either butter or oil, with the bolognese sauce dollopped on top!

15. Oh you made me dig out the Pasta Bible.
    Now Climber has been made redundant we will be frugalising our food shopping (though not today, if you have seen the 'Dinner' thread).
    There are so very many simple and wonderful sauces to plonk on pasta..... yummy and cheap! We may well be living off it for a while!
    Well, that and the cheaper cuts of meat in the sloco and other things we have been practising for a while [​IMG]

16. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear this Pobble. Look on it as an opportunity to do something better rather than a negative thing. Mind you, I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs.

17. Please don't be, we most definitely are not!
    He is taking a few weeks to do nothing, he needs to let his elbows, shoulders and knees get used to being working joints again [​IMG] We saved up to give him some wriggle room!
    Now I just have to get used to him being in my house!!!!
    That and eating pasta, it seems!

18. *snortle*