1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Past tense holidays in German - Y8

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by whapbapboogy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

How I would interpret what you have to do and how I would go about it:
    The focus is obviously the vocab you need to describe a holiday-
    when you went, where you went, with whom you went, where you stayed, for how long, what you did, what the weather was like, what you thought of the holiday.
    It's year 8- so you will need to intro and drill the vocab.
    It's 60 mins- so you will need to have exs covering listening, speaking, reading and writing- probably with some of the reading and writing spilling over into homework.
    They are top set- so you will need to revisit and practise the whole paradigm- I, you, he, she etc.
    They've apparently already covered the past tense- so ASK them when it comes to the grammar of the perfect tense, and have the pattern ready for them to spot and deduce/ reinforce/predict. Ppt is the best way to go as you can reveal it line by line.

2. dlh202

dlh202 New commenter

As a final activity you could get them to produce a short written account of a holiday, however get them to do it in the style of consequences. Encourage them to be creative.
    Students write name at bottom of paper. First time they write where they went (ich bin nach Schottland gefahren). Fold over. Pass to person next to them Then how (ich bin mit dem Auto gefahren). Repeat as many times as you want to get different phrases in (what they did, what they thought). Challenge them to include extra details eg who with etc. Maybe have an opinion "es war +adjective". Then get them to return sheet to partner and effectively it becomes a form of peer assessment, as they can then check and edit if needed. Just be very clear in your instructions. Model on board etc
    Paired speaking always works well in interviews. Write three sentences about past holiday and tell partner. 2 have to be true, one has to be fictional. Partner guesses. Even better if they can say it in TL "nummer eins/zwei/drei ist falsch/richtig" (i realise there are moral implications but it makes it a speaking and listening activity)
    For a listening, perhaps use boardworks if you have it? Maybe classclips (google it) has something (you will need realplayer to download them i think). Look at youtube, is there anything useful (again use realplayer to download on to usb stick and then you can use it offline).
    haven't taught holidays in German for a while but hopefully those spark off a few thoughts.

3. trey-desolay

trey-desolay New commenter

Perhaps you could do a trapdoor activty - on a slide have a series on statements about a holiday in the past, each sentence has three options to complete it. Eg Ich bin nach Frankreich / Spanien / Italien gefahren. etc You choose in secret which answers complete your story. Pupils have to "read your mind" and guess the story. If they get sentence correct they can continue, if not the next person goes back to the beginning. Good for memorisation, listening and speaking. When finished guessing correctly they can play in groups. Then use as basis to create their own?
    Good luck![​IMG]

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

You need to be careful with using these ideas, now that they have been published on here. Any savvy HOD (or fellow applicant) will be having a quick glance at the front page of the forum to see if you've been looking up ideas. Generally I think it's better to come up with your own - trust your instincts and go with your original thoughts for that lesson, you'll be a lot more confident as it will fit your teaching style too.

5. whapbapboogy

my post was quite general, though, wasn't it?!
    I totally agree with Noemie- go with your gut instinct and don't be madly adventurous in an interview lesson with something you haven't tried before- you won't feel comfortable and it might not work- whereas if you stick to how YOU would teach that vocab, preferably HOW you have taught before, it will go smoothly, you will feel comfortable, and they will see the real YOU shine in the classroom. Good luck! :)

6. Bearing in mind productive skills are 60% of new GCSE specs, I'd make speaking and listening the focus of my lesson. You can also talk about how this has affected your planning and hoping that confidence in the skills would influence uptake at GCSE, helping eBac figures for the school.
    That way you show whole school awareness - nice for SLT.
    Good luck with it.

7. Thanks to all for your wonderful ideas - I had already thought of a trapdoor activity as it happens and have planned the rest of my lesson around that to some extent.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

8. Didn't get it :-( No useful feedback either really, they said my lesson was good though!

9. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Oh, sorry about that! [​IMG] I hate when they don't really tell you anything useful in the feedback! Hope you're not feeling too disappointed.

10. whapbapboogy

Same here- commiserations!