1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Past papers for GCSE English equivalency test

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mdimop, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mdimop

mdimop New commenter

Hi all,

I have applied for School Direct Primary (salaried) course and I am required to sit an English equivalency test (although I have 2 UK MSc degrees!).

I have downloaded English GCSE past papers from AQA website but I am bit confused as to which ones I should study! There are 3 types of past papers: English, English literature and English Language!

Thank you in advance for your help :)

M

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

English language.

3. corinabonbina

corinabonbina New commenter

I am new to GCSE english, I have notes that there are examples of essay queztions, do we use these or compose our own for controlled assessments ?

4. mandala1

It depends on the format of the exam/equivalence test you intend to take.

5. corinabonbina

That would be AQA 4700 we are late starting, but confused as to whether we have to use the examples given or construct specific questions for the controlled assessment essays that to Of Mice and Men and Romeo and Juliet etc

6. mandala1

If you are studying for an English GCSE in preparation for ITT then you need to be preparing for an English language GCSE, not literature.

7. corinabonbina

Not prep for ITT its both literature and language for the 2016 exams in June

8. mandala1

Then you should start your own thread in a more appropriate section.

9. corinabonbina

WS this not a question on past papers English ?

10. mandala1

Yes,but a particular query from a person with a very particular need, i.e. a GCSE in English language in order to access ITT.

11. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I do believe GCSE English is the one the say you need. If you wanted to teach secondary, you could get away with either Lang or Lit. But for primary, they want you to be competent in both, which is what GCSE English is.

However, I assume you need a qualification. I would suggest IGCSE as they are easier than GCSE. The easiest/most accessible GCSE English board is WJEC/EDUQAS. I've taught Edexcel, WJEC, EDUQAS and AQA. AQA is quite tough in my opinion. I really suggest you go for WJEC.

12. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

Off topic, but I was told about a guy with a PhD in Maths who was asked to sit in a GCSE Maths exam.. He managed to complete the work within five minutes. :D

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Interesting - I took Maths at university (educated in the USA) and NARIC accepted it as 'equivalent' to the GCSE (I received a B), so I didn't need to take the GCSE....probably easier to just sit it like your friend - the red tape with NARIC took months....

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Re the 2 UK MSc degrees. I've seen applications from people with UK MSc degrees whose English would probably fail GCSE quite badly. For someone wanting to teach Primary, an excellent command of English is vital and it's not too much to ask that a person not educated here demonstrate their capability in a formal examination.

15. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

The funny thing about that guy was that NARIC accepted his Master Degree in Maths and his PhD, but for some reason didn’t accept his school certificate o_O, so that’s why he had to sit in a GCSE exam. A friend from my PGCE course told us this story, as he was sitting in the exam with him (and getting super jealous when the maths guy left after five minutes :D).