1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Past O level papers from the 1970s anyone?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by gedlad, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gedlad

gedlad New commenter

Comparing O level then to GCSE now. So if you're having a clearout, please keep an eye out for me.
    cheers
    Ged

2. gedlad

gedlad New commenter

Comparing O level then to GCSE now. So if you're having a clearout, please keep an eye out for me.
    cheers
    Ged

3. DM

DM New commenter

If you join www.edexcelmaths.co.uk you will find the 1988 O Level Paper B in the Very Past Papers vault. This is from the year GCSE mathematics began.
    Q1. Sector of a circle
    Q2. Angles and algebra
    Q3. 2 x 2 matrices
    Q4. Probability
    Q5. Vectors
    Q6. Operations
    Q7. Bar chart / pie chart / percentages
    Q8. Composite and inverse funtions and the quadratic formula
    Q9. Transformations
    Q10. Differentation and motion of a freely falling body
    Q11. Ratio and volume in the context of a difficult real life problem
    Q12. Venn diagrams and sets
    Q13. Circle theorems and geometric proof
    Q14. Solving quadratic simultaneous equations and quadratic inequalities graphically
    Q15. Trigonometry and speed, distance and time
    You could miss out 3 of the final 9 questions and the length of the exam was 2.5 hours. One of the skills on the paper that would present most difficulty now would be drawing every graph from scratch including scaling the axes.

4. DM

DM New commenter

That should say functions and differentiation!

5. DM

DM New commenter

I ought to read the thread titles properly. I now see you are looking for 1970s O Level papers! The same site has both 1969 papers.

6. DM

DM New commenter

The 1969s papers include a lot more calculus and calculations with imperial units and funny money.

7. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

My favourite paper in the Edexcel Emporium "Very Past Papers" drawer is the earliest one, from 1909. It gives the names of the examiners on the paper, including: "G, Esq., B.A., B.Sc."
    Question 3 on the paper is particularly wonderful:
    Functional maths, anyone?

8. And of course no calculator!

9. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Well - there was nothing in the rubric of the paper to say you couldn't use an electronic calculator, so I suppose if you had managed to invent one (and had enough space on your desk) you might have got away with using it ...

10. Of course I worked the answer out to the question in my head.[​IMG]

11. I have a few AEB from 1975 - 1977. Where would you like them sent to?

12. DM

DM New commenter

Could you scan them in and upload them somewhere so we can all enjoy them?

13. This question from London O level 1966 is very similar the questions which now appear on the current Edexcel M2 papers.
    A child's clockwork car, when wound up and placed on the ground, runs forward in a straight line for a time t and then becomes stationary, During the time that it is in motion, its velocity when moving for t seconds is 1.5t-0.5t^2 feet per second. Calculate
    a) for how many seconds the car runs,
    b) the distance it travels
    c) the greatest velocity
    d) its greatest acceleration

14. Hey Valed those are excellent papers.

How hard were the A level papers :) ?

d U c

15. I have my grandmother's 1923 school certificate papers. There are 3 Maths papers - arithmetic, geometry and algebra. They should equate to GCSE level, but most of our A2 students would struggle with the arithmetic and algebra and they wouldn't know where to begin with the geometry.
    The non Maths papers are equally scary - the French expects you to translate chunks of Moliere, and some of the RE questions are in ancient Greek.

16. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

17. gedlad

gedlad New commenter

Thanks for all the contributions folks - muchly appreciated
    Ged