1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passwords and stuff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I followed a link in an article about the hacking of the Vtech website and read this: http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/11/when-children-are-breached-inside.html

To get you up to speed, Vtech is a company that makes childrens' toys which connect to the Internet and do something pretty pointless, however to be able to work them, requires the input of sensitive data and when used, the toys capture images of the kids.

The Troy Hunt piece rants a bit about how inept the Vtech security is, but it also indicates how inept most people are with the passwords people use. He suggests that once a hacker has access to a users credentials, their email address, postal address, name and so on, it's a relatively simple matter to find out all the accounts the email address is used for and the high probability that the same password is being used on all or most of them.

Have you given it a thought that if you have passwords based around your pets' names, for example, and posted the names of your pets on Facebook, there's a fair likelihood a determined hacker who had enough details about your identity to be able to steal it?

How many different passwords do we need, and how can anyone remember them all if we use unique passwords for every account we have? Is it not time that a better system was devised?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

An alternative to having a pass word is to have a pass policy.

At each website you take a group of characters related to the site's name, URL, menu bar (or whatever) and add a known random sequence of other characters to reduce the likelihood of it being guessed.

That way you don't have to remember different passwords for different sites, because the site itself provides the memory jogger. All you do is add your known random sequence in the appropriate place.

Forgotten passwords was an endless problem in school for some kids when I taught ICT. I used to tell them to base their password on something they could already see on the log in screen so there'd always be a reminder.

Sillow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The number of them who delight in telling me their password is 'incorrect'... because the computer tells them what their password is once they've got it wrong....

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

In an effort to get game playing enabled on school Ipads, my nephew and friends got into the administrator area of their school network.

And how did these young tech wizards gain access?

By entering User Name: administrator
    Password: password
    :confused::confused::cool:

Kartoshka, cissy3 and Duke of York like this.
  5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I've seen that a lot colpee.!

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What I do is have some favourite songs or poems.

So - if it was a gardening website I'd go for:
    IwlaacTfohovah11

Which sounds quite hard to remember. But isn't. It's easy. The numbers remind me we've had 1 tree chopped down and we have 1 particularly large magnolia.

But can anyone guess the origin of:
    IwlaacTfohovah

7. grumpydogwoman

It's capital I for (say) India at the start btw. Not lower case l for ladder.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have random ones that are on desktop sticky notes just in case. The computer remembers them for me most of the time though. I used to do variations on a theme, but ended up having so many it would take me ages to guess at it, so now it's random, then write it on my computer then tell the computer to remember it.

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I wandered lonely as a cloud That floats on high o'er vales and hills

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

You cracked it. Very good.

AdwtgijAtsiacs

Clue: primary pianists

11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I do as MSB; I have one generic password and put bits relating to the website in a certain part of it, so effectively each password is unique. The generic bit is a phrase I made up that includes a number and has no bearing on any pets, address,maiden name or job.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I too use cores with semi-sequential additions.
    I've never had any hacked yet and really don't suppose that I will
    Nobody really wants my identity, not even me :oops:

13. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

National treasure Stephen Fry suggested very complicated passwords which you then write down on a piece of paper as the criminals who hack your accounts are highly unlikely to associate with the kind of criminal who would burgle your house.

Orkrider2 and NarnianRoyalty like this.
  14. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@grumpydogwoman, I'm still working on this one... perhaps another clue could be useful?