1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passport question if a deal is agreed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Oct 17, 2019.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I know it's anyone's guess as to what might happen on Saturday but if a deal is agreed what does this mean if your passport expires soon? My husband's expires mid January and we thought it might be nice to go to one of the Christmas markets via Eurostar but then we realised his passport expires soon. I have checked the government's not to helpful advice and it only says he will need to get a new one in the event of a no deal. Does this mean that if the deal is agreed on Saturday we would be okay to travel? I'm not prepared to book anything if he has to renew now.
    I wonder if anyone could answer this or is this just an example of one of the myriad of questions that nobody really knows the answer to when it comes to Brexit!

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

? Why?
    Surely we wouldn't all need new passports in the event of no-deal?
    Why should leaving the EU make any difference to unexpired passports?

nomad likes this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You could wait and see as you would lose the months left on your husband's passport if you renew now. It used to be that any remaining months were added to the new passport but that has recently changed. However, it is not a large amount of money and so you might decide that it is not worth waiting and renew now so that your husband does have more than 6 months left. I'm not sure if there is a rush at the moment of people renewing causing longer waiting times for passports to be issued.

Link to Money Saving Expert article

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

It's the fact that you will be required to have at least 6 months before the expiry date on your passport.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The deal, if passed (and that's a big if) includes a transition period that means nothing really changes until the end of 2020 at the earliest, other than the fact that we will not longer be sending MEPs to Brussels. But, as others have said, it is as well to have at least 6 months left on a passport. I think that's the case even if there is no deal, but I have certainly not heard any requirement that people would need new passports if there's no deal.

BelleDuJour, chelsea2 and nomad like this.
  6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have heard that if we leave with no deal then some countries may demand six months on a passport. And demand for passports will go up so they'll take longer to come. And yes, you do lose any remaining months left on your old passport, whereas you used to be able to carry some over. Me and my son renewed ours as they wouldn't have had six months left.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Then now is the right time to renew it, regardless of the Brexit outcome. In the event of a no-deal Brexit you will be required to have at least six months left on your passport for travel to EU countries. In addition to this, you won't be able to travel on a passport that is older than nine years and six months.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Wait 2 days and you’ll know. There will be no Brexit.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not just the EU. There are quite a few other countries that require 6 months left on a passport.

towncryer, nomad and chelsea2 like this.
  10. 576

576 Established commenter

This annoys me so much.
    Why is a passport valid until the day after I leave the country not sufficient?
    If I have to have 6 months validity then really they should issue passports for ten and a half years.

bevdex and chelsea2 like this.
  11. 576

576 Established commenter

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Maybe incase you decide to stay longer or go somewhere else before you come back. Or maybe God forbid have an illness or accident and aren't fit to travel back for a while. I recon they have quite a lot of experience in such matters so know the pitfalls.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

My understanding is that, if the deal is passed, the current rules re: passport expiry continue (but not, as Blazer says, countries outside the EU often demand 6 months 'life' in a passport). But if the deal isn't passed, and there is a No Deal you WILL need 6 months left...and note, if your passport was issued before the previous one expires, and the extra time added on, that extra time won't apply. So it could be 8 or 9 months left and still not acceptable.

Personally I renewed mine during the summer. With 8 months or so left (having had an extra few months added when I renewed last time). Just in case.

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

florian gassmann likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I believe that's because of a new international agreement (not directly anything to do with the EU specifically or Brexit) that passports cannot be issued showing a period of validity of more than 10 years.

16. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Do you really think so? I think MPs will end up backing it because they want to ensure they get re elected.
    Thanks everyone for your responses. As usual, in this forum, lots of helpful advice.
    If a deal is agreed something positive will come out of it as it will mean we can go away! Personally that's probably the only positive for me but time will tell.

576 likes this.
  17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nothing will happen.................Project Fear strikes again.