1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passive voice and the subjunctive in Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katielou83, Oct 18, 2015.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all,

I've just sat down to use the AREs from our local authority for the first time to plan the next steps for my Year 6 class. I'm finding that we can't yet tick much off, as the drafting and writing criteria are all long-term things and the grammar, vocab and punctuation section is so specific!
    I'm trying to link most of the grammar objectives to my English units but struggling a little bit with the passive voice and subjunctive mood. I'm thinking formal speeches / letters of complaints. Anyone done this successfully yet?
    I've got a week and a half at the end of next term where I need to fit in a unit in that would cover this - was thinking of maybe linking it to Christmas and getting them to write letters of complaint / speeches as if they were Father Christmas, complaining to a chimney making company about how he has managed to get stuck! Do you think we'd be able to link this to the passive and subjunctive?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Katie

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I think formal letters a probably the best way to go for those two objectives! You've just reminded me that last year I did formal and informal writing at Christmas using the Raymond Brigg's Father Christmas cartoon. I had the children writing formal letters as Father Christmas complaining to the French restaurant where he gets food poisoning, which worked well!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certainly I can see using subjunctive mood, Could you / I would like etc. . but not quite sure if passive voice would fit quite so well. Ive used newss articles to do passive voice in the past.

4. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

5. magazine

magazine New commenter

For passive voice I like to use explanations, e.g. (Science) Water was poured into a transparent container. Next two 5ml spoonfuls of sugar were dropped into the water. They were stirred until...... Apt use of the passive voice as it points out that the process is the more important element; that who did it is irrelevant to the process. Higher order thinking and writing indeed. Great for differentiation.
    Re the subjunctive mood, persuasive writing works well, e.g. If school days were longer, it would/could mean that......
    Hope this helps.