1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passive refusal to play

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Maz86, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

I’m a three year old HoD...as it were :) Team fab on the hole. Occaisional epic **** up which adds a touch of drama. Anyway, one colleague who is exceptional by any measure just won’t play any games. ALL I want is for said person to share their resources in line with dept policy. And they won’t. SLT would back me, but who wants to go that far?

The background is a long story and possibly too private for this forum. But on that info, what would you do?

2. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

Good luck. I had this problem too. Tried flattery as in " I really liked the way you did X.The kids were very positive. Could you upload your sheets?" The answer was that she didn't have anything. The only way I could do it was to ask for it formally in writing with a deadline and copied to slt.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why is it so very important that this person shares their resources?
    I tend to share mine when they would possibly be useful for others, but if it was policy that I HAD to, I might not be so keen.
    I can't for the life of me see why a HOD would make this a big deal. It's irritating for sure, but there must be bigger battles to fight.

sabrinakat, Pomz and blueskydreaming like this.
  4. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Have you spoken with the member of your team in question to find out why they don’t want to share?!

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Could it be that they object to being told to hand out these 'outstanding resources' freely, when they have presumably sacrificed their own time creating them? Perhaps you could ask the others in the Department to 'up their game', then they would not have to rely on 'hand me downs', and said person might no longer view them as 'a bunch of freeloaders'?

6. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Wouldn't worry about it. Let them be a miserable and unhelpful and concentrate on working with the rest of your team...

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  7. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Yeah I think it is the reason that you need him/her to share that is important and how you explain it.

If its just 'its policy' then it might not be very appealing. Particularly if this person KNOWS they are exceptional in comparison to the other teachers in the department, because by sharing everything they have done, they aren't getting anything out of it apart from other teachers nicking their stuff and potentially taking credit for it. You could suggest several things:

* Asking him/her to upload their resources onto a shared drive, with their name embedded into each slide / document to show ownership. This might help them to worry less about them not getting any credit for the work, and might shame other teachers into realising their resources aren't as good.

* Flattery - Saying something along the lines of "The other teachers in the dept could do with seeing some excellent resources and I know yours are amazing. Would you mind putting them on the shared area so they can use them to improve their own teaching?

* Giving them an 'official' platform or reason to share - So could you organise for this amazing teacher to lead a CPD session on planning / creating resources? They could then upload their resources in a shared area for people who took part in the CPD to refer to? Could be department based, could be whole school based. Then they are getting to show off what they have done, and getting department wide / school wide recognition, but then others are also benefiting? Tell the teacher how great leading a session like this would look on their CV / Performance Management reviews etc..

8. RosyGlow

RosyGlow New commenter

Did said teacher have any input into this departmental policy? If not, I can understand why they resent being told to contribute resources they've made for their own teaching. I can't understand why you would insist - if people want to upload their resources to a shared drive, then fine. We have this arrangement, and I hate it. Hundred of files i'll never use. Yes. there might be something useful, but I can't be bothered to trawl through everything and then adapt for my class. I'd rather organise my own files and plan myself. That said, I like planning collaboratively - that way, you're sharing the planning but making sure it's useful for everyone.