1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passive refusal to play

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Maz86, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

I’m a three year old HoD...as it were :) Team fab on the hole. Occaisional epic **** up which adds a touch of drama. Anyway, one colleague who is exceptional by any measure just won’t play any games. ALL I want is for said person to share their resources in line with dept policy. And they won’t. SLT would back me, but who wants to go that far?

The background is a long story and possibly too private for this forum. But on that info, what would you do?

2. meggyd

meggyd Established commenter

Good luck. I had this problem too. Tried flattery as in " I really liked the way you did X.The kids were very positive. Could you upload your sheets?" The answer was that she didn't have anything. The only way I could do it was to ask for it formally in writing with a deadline and copied to slt.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why is it so very important that this person shares their resources?
    I tend to share mine when they would possibly be useful for others, but if it was policy that I HAD to, I might not be so keen.
    I can't for the life of me see why a HOD would make this a big deal. It's irritating for sure, but there must be bigger battles to fight.

4. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Have you spoken with the member of your team in question to find out why they don’t want to share?!

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Could it be that they object to being told to hand out these 'outstanding resources' freely, when they have presumably sacrificed their own time creating them? Perhaps you could ask the others in the Department to 'up their game', then they would not have to rely on 'hand me downs', and said person might no longer view them as 'a bunch of freeloaders'?

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Wouldn't worry about it. Let them be a miserable and unhelpful and concentrate on working with the rest of your team...

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  7. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Yeah I think it is the reason that you need him/her to share that is important and how you explain it.

If its just 'its policy' then it might not be very appealing. Particularly if this person KNOWS they are exceptional in comparison to the other teachers in the department, because by sharing everything they have done, they aren't getting anything out of it apart from other teachers nicking their stuff and potentially taking credit for it. You could suggest several things:

* Asking him/her to upload their resources onto a shared drive, with their name embedded into each slide / document to show ownership. This might help them to worry less about them not getting any credit for the work, and might shame other teachers into realising their resources aren't as good.

* Flattery - Saying something along the lines of "The other teachers in the dept could do with seeing some excellent resources and I know yours are amazing. Would you mind putting them on the shared area so they can use them to improve their own teaching?

* Giving them an 'official' platform or reason to share - So could you organise for this amazing teacher to lead a CPD session on planning / creating resources? They could then upload their resources in a shared area for people who took part in the CPD to refer to? Could be department based, could be whole school based. Then they are getting to show off what they have done, and getting department wide / school wide recognition, but then others are also benefiting? Tell the teacher how great leading a session like this would look on their CV / Performance Management reviews etc..

8. RosyGlow

RosyGlow New commenter

Did said teacher have any input into this departmental policy? If not, I can understand why they resent being told to contribute resources they've made for their own teaching. I can't understand why you would insist - if people want to upload their resources to a shared drive, then fine. We have this arrangement, and I hate it. Hundred of files i'll never use. Yes. there might be something useful, but I can't be bothered to trawl through everything and then adapt for my class. I'd rather organise my own files and plan myself. That said, I like planning collaboratively - that way, you're sharing the planning but making sure it's useful for everyone.

9. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

Hmm, interesting. 'Policy' was possibly a bit of an overstatement but yes, we did all agree that it was a good idea to save reinventing the wheel since every single thing we're teaching is different this year. I also think it is a useful way for me to see what people are doing and I can't just insist that the less exceptional teachers upload theirs. I've tried flattery - it works temporarily. They don't want a platform because they don't like talking to the whole department. The rest of us share and work together which works well; I guess i'll just press on with that and let said person be out on a limb!

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They won't be out on a limb though will they, they will likely access others resources via the electronic system and just add them to their bank of resources. There may be a bit more to it, perhaps they don't think their resources are very good or perhaps they can successfully teach with a minimum of paper/writing frames being circulated, perhaps they are textbook reliant or just use your schemes of work.

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

In the stone age, before the term "uploaded" was invented, I stored the resources I had created from scratch in ring binders (remember them?) in a cupboard in my classroom. I was quite happy to share them with colleagues when requested. A new HoD was appointed who didn't even bother to ask to borrow my things, but helped themself when I was not in my room. I was appalled at the rudeness.

There will always be a team member who has no scruples about riding on the coattails of others. In that situation I would also resist being forced to share my resources.

Alice K, sabrinakat and needabreak like this.
  12. needabreak

The worse bit was when they didn't put a copy back! Grrr at those days...

rosievoice likes this.
  13. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

Is the person UPS? You could put it as a target in their performance management....is it that they don't like the actual putting it in the folder online? I had that..they would send it to me though and I uploaded..

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

How much does it matter if they don't share their resources? I'd be tempted to just ignore it, and should they come to you do help you can choose if you want to play the same game with them or not.

If you do, then just confront them. Treat them the same as you would a student. Tell them what they are doing and ask what they are going to do next:
    In an email, say you've asked them to upload their resources to X drive but they haven't. Why haven't you done this?

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Remember that these resources are not "theirs." The copyright belongs to the employer, and the employer has every right to demand that the resources are made available. This probably isn't the most diplomatic way to go about it, but you have right on your side.

16. needabreak

In principle yes but what if that person is new to the school and has purchased or developed them while say working as a self employed person, purchased resources under those circumstances could not be shared with the current school as that could breach licensing agreements.

17. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I'm not sure I see the problem. It's their job.

They may feel very protective about their resources, but a painter and decorator can't put two coats on a wall and then insist they want to keep it. This is just nonsense.

18. needabreak

Would your painter and decorator invite a competitor on the job then hand over their tools? It's all about not feeling part of the "team" and there must be a reason for that.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My pans and resources aren't uploaded.

1 I can't see anyone else would want them
    2 I can't be bothered to spend the time doing it because it's pointless
    3 It's a faff

20. international_muso

international_muso New commenter

As a teacher who shared resources with another, only for them to upload them on here and sell them as their own after I had left the school, I personally will NEVER be sharing teaching resources with another teacher again!

The resources that they uploaded have now been removed from TES but they had made a profit from selling them. I would like to know how many copies were sold and how much money was made, unfortunately TES won’t give me details regarding that.

If someone has spent a lot of time planning and preparing their own resources why should they feel obliged to share them with others who haven’t done the same?